Cutting groves with a router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Probably lots of different methods for doing this but how would you go about doing this. Eg. Cutting groves to house shelves in a cabinet? I’m thinking I’ll make a jig (2 straight bits of timber with a slot in between set to the width that I want the grove to be) and then using a trimmer bit set to the required depth.

Thoughts?

Regards
Pete

Personally I would use a dado blade in the saw just because I can. :) However using a router you could simply clamp a roofing square to the vertical or build a slot jig like you describe above. Note that special bottom trim bits are available which are better than straight bits and offer widths from 16 mm to 35 mm. Either way its better to make the trench first and than thickness your shelves to get a snug fit assuming you are using solid wood.

My first choice would be a dado blade set in the table saw and I clamp both sides together when I make the cuts or work off the same fence settings so the shelves line up. Always easy to make a mistake and cut to the wrong side of the line. 😲

Pete

A slightly different router jig from what the OP suggests. Still 2 parallel guides, but separated by 30mm. Use with a 30mm guide bush on the router, and the appropriate size cutter for the wid of housing required. Simple, of course, to do stopped housings too. Agree with Pete that clamping the 2 sides back edge to back edge is a good plan to avoid mismatched housings.

exactly how I do it but make the face a piece of Perspex, you can then see to align it either side of a wider groove should you wish, a very useful jug. For many things.

Back