Cutting dowels on a bandsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ives

Established Member
Reaction score
Is this possible or will it spin? I mean beech in sizes 3/4", 1 1/4" and about 1/2". I'd want pieces about 4" long, but also small ones like 1".

Sled with a clamp would do it but its would be slow going. You would be far better off using a draw knife or spokesshave and clamping longer stock into a vice.

I take it you don't have access to a lathe? Ever thought about making one of the old draw string types?

Hi,

Not if you hold on to them tightly :wink:

The bigger the diameter the worse the tendancy to spin will be.
But yours are smallish so you should be o/k use a fine blade and go easy.
I have cut small dowles on mine with out any problems.

Pete

Thanks, I guess with the bigger ones I could just use a saw.

I don't know anything about drawstring lathes! Maybe I can find a youtube video!

flounder":1omj6acp said:
Not sure if the OP is talking about cross cutting existing dowels or actually forming dowel?

I'm buying dowels by the meter and cutting them into pieces to make things with them.

Put the dowel on a v-block, and cut. If you want, you can hold or clamp the v-block to a miter gauge, if your bandsaw has a miter slot.

Kirk

bandsaws are usually a bit jumpy when the blade leaves the back of a cut like that. wouldn't have my fingers fingers 1 inch away from a bandsaw blade.

Close cutting round stock on a bandsaw is not a great idea.

Unless you are making production run furniture...it would be far easier and a hell of a lot safer by hand.

Jim

Hi,

If you cut all the 1" pieces from a lenght and leave 4" then your fingers won't be close to the blade.

Pete

kevin dwyer":24y0tseb said:
bandsaws are usually a bit jumpy when the blade leaves the back of a cut like that. wouldn't have my fingers fingers 1 inch away from a bandsaw blade.
Just tried it on some 19mm dowel. I use a sliding fence with extension that just clears the blade. My hand is 6 inches away from the blade and it cuts smoothly and as short a piece as I like. I see no danger at all.

I have a jig for just this purpose. The wood is supported properly on both sides of the cut and my hands are safely out of the way of the blade. I think it is just what you need. It's on Workshop Essentials 4, Bandsaw Essentials.
S

Think I was thinking you wanted to make square pegs round using a bandsaw. The lathe im talking of has a pedal that moves a string thats around the wood and turns it, my name may not be the correct one for it. There cheap to build really and can be fun if all you wanted to do was make a few round dowels.

I think I need to buy a sliding fence and mitre gauge. I'm going to an Axminster next week, maybe I can pick them up there.

Ives":1m706blv said:
I think I need to buy a sliding fence and mitre gauge. I'm going to an Axminster next week, maybe I can pick them up there.
Don't want to tell you something you already know but just in case ....

Be sure to measure accurately the bandsaw table channel that the new fence will slide in. There is no standard and they come in several different widths - it's important the fence rail fits without play and moves smoothly in the table channel.

RogerP":2d3azl2n said:
Ives":2d3azl2n said:
Don't want to tell you something you already know but just in case ....

Be sure to measure accurately the bandsaw table channel that the new fence will slide in. There is no standard and they come in several different widths - it's important the fence rail fits without play and moves smoothly in the table channel.

Thanks, I didn't know that at all, I don't know much about bandsaws!

Racers":wxvba8p9 said:
Hi,

If you cut all the 1" pieces from a lenght and leave 4" then your fingers won't be close to the blade.

Pete

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, do you mean cut 4" lengths on the bandsaw and then the 1" pieces by hand off those?

It can be done...... but DON'T roll the stock into to the blade - push it straight.

Be prepared for a jammed/dammaged blade if it goes wrong.

Back