Cutting doors to size...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastminute

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to fit some doors quickly into odd size casings....28 1/4" 27 1/4" being the sizes.
2 sizes I've seen are 27" and 30"
Can I use the moulded type and cut each side equally to fit?
Help and advice please...

Gerry

lastminute":396cb0jb said:
I have to fit some doors quickly into odd size casings....28 1/4" 27 1/4" being the sizes.
2 sizes I've seen are 27" and 30"
Help and advice please...

Gerry

lastminute":1ulj78a4 said:
Gerry

For some reason my post failed so I'll try again.

I assume you mean the moulded face hollow, except for cardboard spacing, doors. If that is the case you may well lose the solid edges, or reduce them to useless thickness. There is a way around that, carefully clean away the glue lines on the inner surfaces of the door. Make softwood battens to appropriate thickness and glue in new solid edges. You are likely to end up with a smaller lock block. I can think of no easy way to extend one. Some other hereabouts may well. Think carefully about the type of door catches you are going to use and consider the position of handle fixings, a change in handles may be required.

For the narrower door I would add 1/8" battens to each side of a 27" door.

xy

For the 27 1/4" opening you should be able to get a 2ft 3" (27") door no problem as thats a standard size

For the 28 1/4" opening I would suggest you get a metric 726mm door which can be easily planed down by about 7mm each side. You will probably have to go to a larger joinery supplier for these sizes rather than teh sheds, Magnet do them.

J

Back