Cutting Crew Latest Photographs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Cutting Crew

I've just been looking at your latest photographs and I must say the quality of your work is just excellent.

I particularly liked "Moody Blue" and "The Goldrush".

I can't begin to imagine how the laser worked in "Moody Blue" but the end result is stunning.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the kind words (your cheque's in the post by the way).

With regards to the lazer thicknessing guide used in the making of the "Moody Blue" piece, the best way I can describe it is as being similar to a lazer light pen that is mounted a distance from the tools cutting head and the beam of the pen shines onto the cutting edge. Then it's a matter of off-setting the beam from the cutting edge the thickness you want the walls of the bowl to finish up. As the inside of the turning piece is hollowed out the beam shines on the outside of the wood and, as it nears the outside edge of the wood you know you are near to the finished thickness you're looking for.
In the case of "Moody Blue" I used the guide to get down to 1/16" thick walls. This piece was so light that when I sprayed the coats of finishing lacquer I had to change to a HVLP spray system to prevent the piece being blown onto the floor by the spraygun.
In the attached Jamieson Hollowing Toolyou can see the tool set up and in use, the horizontal silver bar has a lazer on the end (above the timber), although this is a small hollow form tools similar to this can be used to cut up to 20" deep inside a timber form.

The hollowing review I did was on a whole range of tools, mostly from the US that can be used when it would be difficult or even dangerous to have more than 8" of a normal gouge blade extending in front of the tool rest.
The deep hollowing tools are normally called cutting rigs and can be used to turn up to 20" deep hollow forms, vases etc in relative safety.

Hope I've not made it more confusing than it actually is.

CC

Hi CC

Cutting Crew":2je77kkw said:
Thanks for the kind words (your cheque's in the post by the way).

It hasn't arrived yet, but as my office is only at J27/M1 I'll pop up and collect it. :wink:

Thanks for the explanation of the laser, I hadn't picked up that it was a thickness guide.

When you turn something that thin ("Moody Blue") will you have any problems with the piece in the future?

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,

The short answer is no, that particular piece is very stable. It was turned from green timber that was very wet and finally dried in the microwave.

Not all my work is turned this thin, it was just an excercise to demonstrate the use of the lazer and basically to see how thin I dare go.

CC

Hi CC

It was only recently that I discovered turners will dry timber using the microwave. But I now understand why you use the microwave.

I look forward to seeing more photographs of your work.

Cheers
Neil

PS The money still hasn't arrived!! :cry:

Latest posts

Back