Cutting cornice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
Having a senior moment I think, but can someone tell me what angle(s) I set on the SCMS for cutting cornice for a 90° int/ext corner with it laid on its back? A setting of 31.25° sprang to mind but I'm not sure.

thanks,

ike

Thanks Mark - very helpful.. I think the very last sectence sums it up well too,

"The best advice is to practice on some scrap before you delve into the real stuff".

cheers,,
ike
:)

ike":1g30g6nh said:
Thanks Mark - very helpful.. I think the very last sectence sums it up well too,

"The best advice is to practice on some scrap before you delve into the real stuff".

cheers,,
ike

It always screws my head up Ike, tis the best way to practice on some scrap, it doesn't matter how many times someone tells me, I still don't get it until i've cut it :?

motownmartin":2oinefd5 said:
ike":2oinefd5 said:

cheers,,
ike

It always screws my head up Ike, tis the best way to practice on some scrap, it doesn't matter how many times someone tells me, I still don't get it until i've cut it :?

Me too - why do you think I could lay my hands on that link so quickly :wink:

Hi Guys
There's an old joke question, "why does a dog lick it's balls ? because it can do!"

Just because you can do, you don't have to cut them on the flat.

I prefer to cut cornice in this position, at 45.

cornice-mitre-saw.jpg

Imagine the bed of the saw as the ceiling and the fence as the wall and you make a lot less mistakes. Particularly when cutting the scribes. You are scribing your internal corners are'nt you?

For the odd ones that are too big for my saw, I knock up a quick home made mitre box to suit the specific size of the cornice. Then I cut them by hand with a sharp panel saw.

crown-mould-miter-box.gif

As far as the angles go, for anything like this, I prefer to work it out myself from basic geometry, rather than rely on somebodies published data.

Also bear in mind that the so called 90 deg corners are sometimes less than perfect depending on the skill of the plasterer or (heaven forbid) the set out of the builder. What's the point of setting your saw to a decimal of a degree when your wall might be 2 full degrees out.

Once you have learned how to draw out and then solve say a particular cornice/crown mould set of angles, you are then able to solve any variation on the theme that is possible.

Cheers
Bill

Back