Cutting/chopping board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo60

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to make a chopping board but every video I have watched uses a planer/thicknesser to level things up. How can I achieve a good finish without one of these?
I don't think my planing skills could manage it? I would imagine a ROS would take forever on hard wood? Can you hire them?
TIA

I've made a couple, neither of which would fit in my thickenesser.

I used a router to level them off. Admittedly the unit was held by a CNC machine, but that's really not required at all if you can be bothered to make even a simple router sled.

Thanks. I'll have to search for router sled? I only have a palm router but suppose it will just take a bit longer. Type of bit? Have to look at my current selection. What bit did you use? (I am a router novice)

The spindle on my CNC is only a 1050w unit, so not that powerful. I used a 25mm (or 1 inch, I can't remember) bit with a 1/4 shank.

You don't need to buy a sled - I'm sure someone will take your money, but even a couple of lengths of right angle steel (I've used spare dexian racking lengths before) on a couple of evenly sized blocks will do.

The spindle on my CNC is only a 1050w unit, so not that powerful. I used a 25mm (or 1 inch, I can't remember) bit with a 1/4 shank.

You don't need to buy a sled - I'm sure someone will take your money, but even a couple of lengths of right angle steel (I've used spare dexian racking lengths before) on a couple of evenly sized blocks will do.
Thanks Julian. Watched a video using angle iron. Might use Aliminium as easier to work with. Screw rails to either side of work bench should work. Then remove for storage. Sounds like a plan

I made this a few weeks ago and used a belt sander. I am really happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_6215.jpg
    IMG_6215.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 74
I made this a few weeks ago and used a belt sander. I am really happy with it.
Thanks Nick. Don't have a belt sander. I'm not far from you, other side of Nottingham, Ravenshead. I'm going to try a board with "end strips first before attempting something like that. Looks great

Thanks Nick. Don't have a belt sander. I'm not far from you, other side of Nottingham, Ravenshead. I'm going to try a board with "end strips first before attempting something like that. Looks great
Happy to lend you the sander (or even a router) when you get to that stage.

Don't doubt your planing skills. As long as you're not working with end grain, a regular smoothing planer will be more effective than you might think. Just take a little off at a time and keep checking high and low spots with a straight edge.

I'd second a sharp plane over a belt sander as the belt sander will cover your workshop with dust even with a dust extractor. Including your lungs.

Where as the plane will leave you easy to clean up shavings.

Also the plane will produce a finer finish with less overall effort than going through the grades on a belt sander.

Cheers James

Happy to lend you the sander (or even a router) when you get to that stage.
Thanks Nick. I'm going to make a router sled and try with the palm router first. Just taking small cuts should work. Not in a hurry nowadays. First thing I have to do is find some hard wood strips to use. I once got some hardwood from a merchant near Clifton (I think). Any ideas?

There is something very satisfying in planing a large area of end grain, very sharp plane, bit of candle wax and finely set, no grain direction to worry about and the finish is as clean as a whistle, whereas with abrasive papers you are just putting finer and finer scratches onto the surface. I suppose eventually you wouldn’t be able to see them but it would take a lot longer than it would with a plane. Ian

Another belt sander job - took about 15mins to get to the point of using an orbital.
I think you'll be surprised how quick a belt sander with coarse grit removes material.

20201209_153702w.jpg

I'd second a sharp plane over a belt sander as the belt sander will cover your workshop with dust even with a dust extractor. Including your lungs.

Where as the plane will leave you easy to clean up shavings.

Also the plane will produce a finer finish with less overall effort than going through the grades on a belt sander.

Cheers James
I agree about the ultra fine dust. Mega extraction needed. However I have saved a jar full as it makes such a perfect filler for my woodturning when brushed into cracks and fixed with CA.

In my case I always wear a dust mask and the belt sander was connected to a Festool CTL26. After the larger steps are removed I moved to a Rotex 150 then an ETS EC150 DA sander. I am sure other sanders would be equally as good as would hand planes if you choose that route. As my block is 60cm square I needed to assemble mine in 3 sections and had some small steps that needed levelled off. You definitely get a nicer finish using a hand plane. I have used a scraper plane as a final finish. This photo was taken later with the scraper plane used on the top only and the sides planed.
0F568EF9-78E3-4125-8784-ADD7A687B21E.jpeg

Latest posts

Back