Cutting/breaking M35 tool steel into smaller lengths

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertterbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Usually, when I want to cut HSS tool blanks into smaller lengths, I use the angle grinder to score a line, put it in the vice and give it a whack with the hammer. Due to the nature of it being brittle, it snaps.

I was wondering if there was a more controlled way of doing this as there is often damage to the piece from the hammer. If I use a block of wood between the hammer and the piece to help protect the piece it doesn't break.

I was thinking maybe knocking up a jig that incorporates a clamp, so I can apply pressure in a more controlled manner?

The HSS I have used in the past was 61 HRC if I recall correctly, the M35 I have ordered (not arrievd yet) is more like 66 HRC, so perhaps easier to snap?

Here is a link to the blanks I ordered if it helps
https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/cutting...h-sq-x-2-1-2inch-cobalt-t-oolbit/p/ZT1128378X

That reminds me of when I was an apprentice. I was given some silver steel round blanks that the welders had cut up. I wondered why I couldn't face them off and it turned out the welder had used a cut off disc and hardened the ends :rolleyes:

Hi I use a vee block in the vise with a round bar across the tool steel to break them after scoring them.

1650359783605.png

No problem but I don't have an image of doing it but in this drawing it shows a loose V block put this in a vice lay the tool steel that you have scored with the grinder on all four faces in the vice then place a piece of round rod against the tool in line with the score mark and tighten the vise up hard and the tool steel will crack along the grinder mark cleanly.
Tip: drop a cloth over the vice as you tighten in case one or both decides to jump, this way of doing it is safer does not mark the tools or hammers or put too much heat into the tool.

break.JPG

image_2022-04-19_130646058.png
This vice has a smaller V will do smaller than 5mm square or round tools so you need a larger V to do larger tools.

Hope it helps.

I make my own Engraving bits and buy 6mm carbide 300mm long and use the small vise to break to length.

A diamond cutting wheel is the way to go…cut a notch all round,..then hold it in the vice, slip a good fitting steel tube over the rod to give good leverage and snap it…

Latest posts

Back