Cutting bowl blanks, help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, yes, that’s the one I bought and it does have a section on preparing new wood and rough turning which I’m now reading.

Makes we wonder whether the forum should have a new section on books and reviews?

I made a couple of videos showing log conversion for turning bowls etc, here are the links should they prove useful at all.

I made a couple of videos showing log conversion for turning bowls etc, here are the links should they prove useful at all.

Just watched this and really helpful thank you. I was looking to purchase a chainsaw, going through the petrol/electric debate. That electric version you have seemed to cope admirably. Your procedure was also very useful. Thanks. Alex

Kim , with a little luck you should get some nice pieces from those blanks (y)agree that orange colour is lovely, if only it would last long enough to get a finished bowl.
Not going to try and tell you what you can or cannot do , i would like to just offer what i hope you will think is a bit of friendly advice :). When using your chain saw please never lean over so your face or body is in the line of fire should the saw kick back . Plunging your saw going at full tilt into a saw cut is not advised ,as you only need be a mill or two out and that chain is almost guaranteed to catch and throw the saw violently in your direction . Putting the chain in contact with the wood before applying the rev's could easily catch pulling the saw forward , or worse back at you if the nose catches first.
That's it sermon over ;);):) , best of luck with those blanks .

Just watched this and really helpful thank you. I was looking to purchase a chainsaw, going through the petrol/electric debate. That electric version you have seemed to cope admirably. Your procedure was also very useful. Thanks. Alex
Hi Alex, regarding petrol v electric, it depends what size chunks of tree you are wanting to cut up. Electric is great for being quiet and reliable, but I love the flexibility to cut pieces that would be difficult to move whole that petrol gives. Combined with a small log mill, I can cut planks or turning blanks from some pretty decent sized logs. Be warned though - even small scale milling is very addictive...

Hi Alex, regarding petrol v electric, it depends what size chunks of tree you are wanting to cut up. Electric is great for being quiet and reliable, but I love the flexibility to cut pieces that would be difficult to move whole that petrol gives. Combined with a small log mill, I can cut planks or turning blanks from some pretty decent sized logs. Be warned though - even small scale milling is very addictive...
Hello Alex,
just came across your message, rather late, sorry and thanks for the input. I bought an electric makita in the end and although not industrial or as mobile as the petrol offerings, it’s ok and doesn’t offend my neighbours. The maximum diameter I can turn on my lathe is 500mm, and the 16” bar on the saw can cut it reasonably well. Like you say, it is slightly addictive and interesting too As it opens up new avenue. Your log mill sounds intriguing too !

Back