Cutting aluminium t-track

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark,

All I can suggest is a sharp craft knife and a metal square. Just keep scoring away against the steel edge, until you are through the laminate, and then lift it away with a chisel; not one of your best of course. Once the laminate is clear, chop down with a chisel.

But take note of what Aidan said with regard to the 'T' nut being trapped in the slot, unless you want it that way!

HTH
John :D

That is one hell of a wall thickness for 1" tube John - not much of a hole in the middle. It will take some welding too but once biult will be a seriously strong job.

Bob

9fingers":3umogze8 said:
That is one hell of a wall thickness for 1" tube John - not much of a hole in the middle. It will take some welding too but once biult will be a seriously strong job.

Bob

Sorry Bob... I must be getting old... :oops:

I would say 3/32"... I corrected the original post,.. :mrgreen: It is quite chunky though. I am hoping No. 1 Son can weld it for me, of course!

John
:D

Dee J":2l2z0a9m said:
I find an 'Evolution Rage' blade in a suitable sliding mitre saw the most astonishing device for cutting all kinds of materials - including aluminium.

Dee
I just bought a 'ex - demo' Evolution Fury 3 of t'bay. I had some doubts about some of the claims made for it but, it was cheap enough and I figured it would come in handy for re-cycled wood that might have nails in.
I've since tried it out and have to say I'm very impressed. Cut through all the test bits I tried with ease. 40x40 x 5mm Angle Iron, 1" Brass, 50mm Steel Tube etc. It did much quicker than an abrasive disc and with almost no sparks.
I can see it getting a lot of use.
Wouldn't recommend using an ordinary saw, with rage blade etc. fitted, though.

We seem to be having two completely separate conversations here.

With regard to my t track, one end will be open to slide the bolts in.

Any other ideas on cutting the laminate neatly square?

Mark

The Bear":1lik3b2p said:
We seem to be having two completely separate conversations here.

With regard to my t track, one end will be open to slide the bolts in.

Any other ideas on cutting the laminate neatly square?

Mark
A cutting gauge or marking gauge? Depends on the thickness of the laminate of course.

John :)

to cut the laminate grab a chisel and be bold! Work in from the edge, remember laminate chips when it is lifted up, you're cuttng down so it'llbe more tollerant

Aidan

Cheers Aiden, I wasn't aware of that, I thought it would chip whatever way I chiseled. I have an offcut I will have a practice on.

Mark

Back