Cutting action

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is interesting how far ahead of the tip the shearing is taking place and that in one case a chip itself acts as the cutting edge. Thick shavings, different dynamics.

Modernist":hhnm317r said:
It is interesting how far ahead of the tip the shearing is taking place and that in one case a chip itself acts as the cutting edge. Thick shavings, different dynamics.

I've been searching to find out what the actual scale of the shot (hence shaving thickness) is.

As yet, I don't know.

BugBear

As with timber I feel the presence of a mouth would affect the operation. Chatter is very much an issue with metal machining and if you substitute poor finish for tearout then the analogy is complete.

By golly that takes me back! When I was at University many years ago, we studied the causes of chatter in metal-turning, something that was exercising the reasearchers at the time. In later life, I learned that the practical man either stiffened up his tool-holder or workholding, or slowed the turning speed if chatter was a persistent problem.

Somewhere, I still have a textbook with a drawing showing exactly what that video shows. Nice to see it animated, all these years later. Thanks, BB!

Back