Cutting a sink template in standard worksurface.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Any tips?

I have a nice paper template, tell me to start cutting at an angle for the first 30mm into the side of the work surface, and I have done this with a hacksaw. But I am not sure on the best way to continue. I was thinking of a few pilot holes and a jigsaw. Is that easiest and safest?

jema

I assune it is a semi-countertop basin :?: by the need for an angled cut.

Just use a jigsaw for the rest, downward cutting blade reduces the risk of chipping the laminate but you have to hold the saw down firmly. Or transfer the outline to the underside and cut with the worktop upsidedown.

Jason

Yep it is one of those :)

I'll do the back first, to see how my blade copes, damage should be hidden there.

thanks for the tip

When cutting from the top, I cover the area in masking tape first: means the pencil line is easily visible, and stops the laminate from chipping.

You might make a zero clearance plate for the bottom of Jig saw. That helps with chipout also. Just a thought.
Good luck with the project.
Travis

Travis Byrne":n6dzrpig said:
You might make a zero clearance plate for the bottom of Jig saw. That helps with chipout also. Just a thought.
Travis

a what :shock:

jema":3qdiqyxd said:
Travis Byrne":3qdiqyxd said:
Travis

a what :shock:

What Travis is suggesting is fitting a false sole on the saw with a slot for the blade. The slot is cut using the blade itself so there is no gap around it, hence the term zero clearance. This give maximin support for the sides of the cut and limits the risk of chipping of the laminate. I make them for the table saw, the idea should work OK for a jig saw. I would try a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" ply.

It would work, i have the Festool jigsaw and it comes with a splinter guard which is exactly as you explained but a hard plastic and it does work, even though i never use it now :shock:

Jase

Well thatnks for the tips, I used the jigsaw on an offcut to see the splinter effect and it was not too bad, so I did a few pilot holes and it all cut out fine. Had to drill another couple of holes at the interesction of the straight and angled cuts to finally release the cut out.

Jema

I've not fitted one of these sinks but assuming it's similar to other types I hope you remembered to seal the cut edges first before installing the sink :)

Cheers Roger

rsinden":19g5dx6w said:
Jema

I've not fitted one of these sinks but assuming it's similar to other types I hope you remembered to seal the cut edges first before installing the sink :)

Cheers Roger

Have sealed them, have not quite got the sink in though :(

Back