Cutting a lignum vitae lawn bowls ball.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ady76

Reaction score
Hi
I'm currently working on a craft project which involves removing a slice from a lignum vitae wooden lawn bowls ball. It already has a small bevelled detail around the ball which i'd like the cut to follow about 1 inch up the bowl. I'm totally new to all things woodwork and tools used so if anyone has any advice on how best to cut this section and what i'd need to do it it would be more than appreciated.

Regards
Ady

Hi Mick

I don't have a band saw just a hand saw. Would you recomend a band saw for the job as i have a friend with one.
How would I get a straight cut?
Cheers
Ady

ady76":qbxjzw3p said:
Hi
I'm currently working on a craft project which involves removing a slice from a lignum vitae wooden lawn bowls ball. It already has a small bevelled detail around the ball which i'd like the cut to follow about 1 inch up the bowl. I'm totally new to all things woodwork and tools used so if anyone has any advice on how best to cut this section and what i'd need to do it it would be more than appreciated.

Regards
Ady

I can't tell you how to make the cut.

I can tell you a way to make a good mark to follow, using a scribing gauge. I've posted on their utility before, so here's the link so save repetition:

surface-gauges-for-woodworkers-t22873.html

I've even tried to encourage others to try it:

http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... hings.html

In your case, you need a way to make a bowling ball sit still - I suggest a pastry cutter, or a coffee jar lid, or a cereal bowl.

Sit the ball in your stand, with the stand on a flat surface - a workbench or kitchen counter top should be "flat enough".

Now adjust the bowling ball so the bevelled detail is perfectly parallel to the work surface; this can be checked by setting the surface gauge to the heigh of the detail, and moving the surface gauge around the ball. The relationship of the point to the detail should remain constant. Tweak until this is the case.

Most of the the work is now done.

Now adjust the height of the surface gauge point to be 1 inch lower than the detail, and move the gauge around the ball, scribing your mark.

Job done.

It is important to note, that whilst "universal surface gauges" are elaborate and quite pricy, all that is needed is a adjustable height point on a support, which can be easily improvised with scrap wood, screws, clamps etc...

BugBear

Do you need to retain the slice, or are you wanting 3/4 of a bowl with a flat top?

Hi Marcros
I just want to slice the bottom off so the ball sits on the ground and doesn't role.

I would work out a way of holding it- ideally in a vice , and would use a handplane, power planer, belt sander etc. It is only an inch or so of depth, and its a curved surface, so there wont be that much timber to remove.

Thanks everyone great advice. Thanks for your offer of help Pete, where abouts in Nottingham are you based i may very well need your help? I'm based in sherwood/carrington area.

Hi, ady76

Top of Sherwood very nearly Mapperly

Pete

That's great Pete don't suppose you'd fancy taking on the job and giving it a go?, save me spending alot of money on a suitable vice and such tools and skills which i don't have, happy to pay for your time. If you fancy it you can email me direct on [email protected] and we can exchange further details.

Latest posts

Back