Cutting 8 x 4 Plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAJ52

Reaction score
Hi

This is my first post on this forum as someone who has got back into woodworking after a long absence.

I have a DeWalt DW1251 radial arm saw and the original MDF table has warped to the point of needing replacement. I've bought some hardwood 18mm plywood to replace the table but finding it a pain to try and cut. I have a DeWalt jigsaw and Record Power bandsaw, both not very useful for accurate plywood sheet cutting. Looking on the web most tutorials are American and use massive table saws which I don't have.

One option I can think of is to buy a circular saw and guide but as my favourite store D&M Tools has closed I have got about 12 weeks (isolation) to find another method.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Glen

You might be in luck.
Lidl have a cordless on offer in their shops
Tool plus battery and charger for less than 50 quid.

I had the previous incarnation and it has been an excellent tool

Do you have saw horses? (Every workshop needs saw horses.......). Grab a handsaw, and start sawing. It will be more accurate than a jig saw, but untidy underneath. You'll be done in less time than it took to ask the question and get a response.

MikeG.":3kj308mv said:
Do you have saw horses? (Every workshop needs saw horses.......). Grab a handsaw, and start sawing. It will be more accurate than a jig saw, but untidy underneath. You'll be done in less time than it took to ask the question and get a response.

+1 to this. With a little practice you will be surprised how straight you can cut with a handsaw even on large sheets. A helper is handy to support the offcuts though.

Are D&M your favourite because they’re local to you? If so, I’m not a million miles away in W12 - if you can get your plywood across to me I’ll be happy to cut it for you; just make sure you stay your end of the board, OK?

Cheers, Peter.

Many thanks for your advice and offers of help, much appreciated :)

I'm going to have a go at the hand sawing option and see how it goes, plus I need the exercise.

Glen

If you envisage eeding to cut sheets down more you can always use a tracksaw. Even the titan one and the evolution tracks will do what you want.

MikeG.":or8rjk9e said:

What Mike said.

Back