Cutting 2" oak...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know easiest way to rip up 2" thick ok.

Im ripping up 2" green oak for spikes and the basic circular saw I've been using has struggled. I did have a 235mm circular which was a beast and sold it for a table saw. Don't really want to put it though my new table saw as it's heavy and don't want to damage the motor.

Anyone got an old 235cm saw preferably not 110v?

Hi james, id use the tablesaw instead of buying more kit. you could set up a couple of roller stands if you have them, for supporting the ends.... and you'll want a 24 tooth rip blade for the table saw.... worth getting a freud or similar, search ebay, it'll be about 25, 30 quid

If you want to do it with a hand held circular saw as in your link have you considered hiring one for a day, I did just that when I had a load of oak to cut up which was beyond the capacity of my own circular saw.

I was struggleing to cut oak on my old home made saw bench untill I changed the blade for one out of a lidls 3 pack of cheap tct blades, the blade I used was for aerated blocks and the like and only had about 10 teeth but it cut the oak just fine,
Steve.

Are you making 8' spikes?, I cut long lengths of 2" Oak comfortably on my small table saw with a good rip blade, I can do 6" on my Sedgwick TA415 but that's a bit more of a job, otherwise its through the bandsaw.

Yes 2x2 spikes 32" long.

Will try the table saw having sorted out an outfeed table!

I bought an Evolution saw from Screwfix for about £50/60 a couple of years ago. This was to replace a knackered old Bosch I used for cutting up pallets for firewood. I have a big hand held Makita for ripping down heavy boards I cannot get onto the saw bench safely by myself. One day I picked up Evolution through laziness and was very impressed with how it performed. I have not used the Makita since.

Colin

I'm not sure if its too late for you now or not, but I regularly make products from green Oak, and one thing that I've discovered is that if you do not hoover up the sawdust, it will cause severe corrosion on any cast Iron that it lands on overnight. I've been told that its due to the high amounts of tanning. So make sure that you use a machine wax on your table and hoover up regularly!

Back