Cutlery box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have been asked to make a Cutlery box to house a 1930 arc deco full set of cutlery

The box to be made from solid maple about 500W X 400D X 300H, precise size not confirmed up yet.

Within this box there will be six draws or trays to accommodate the different pieces of cutlery.

Now the thing that I’m stuck on is.... how and with what to pad and line the tray bottoms. Bering in mind that there are a lot of different types and shaped utensils.

I think the larger utensil should be displayed in their own moulded section. Ok knifes, forks and spoons can be laid on there sides for display.

Dose anyone have an idea of what to use for the padding and lining and how to make an impression of the larger utensil like cake slice, carving set.
So they look snug with there own space around them.

Many thanks for any help

Gary

waterhead37":1a6h2oyw said:
Alf":1a6h2oyw said:
'Cos I'm feeling helpful

I am helpful too - just trying to help Charlie decide to make a search button that is twice as big as the others :wink:
Oh I wasn't saying you weren't - just "differently helpful". :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Gary

You might care to ake a peek at the DonJer site which sells "Suede-Tex" spray-on suede. Having never tried the stuff myself, I don't know if the company will ship outside the USA, but you could always ask. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Yours

Gill

Hi,

Thanks for the information on the suede paint.
I have that side covered with a product that I have often used named Nextel.

It’s what to make the tray base out off that’s giving me a headache. There must be something that one can mould easily and can take a finish.

Thanks anyway

Gary

GaryD":1zuamar1 said:
Hi,

Thanks for the information on the suede paint.
I have that side covered with a product that I have often used named Nextel.

It’s what to make the tray base out off that’s giving me a headache. There must be something that one can mould easily and can take a finish.

Thanks anyway

Gary

I used polystyrene foam and a home-made hot wire cutter as below. I used a solid piece of wood to form the upper surface, and also as the template around which to cut.

original.jpg

Adam

Thanks Adam, that’s a fantastic cutlery box you’ve made mate and a good idea using the polystyrene for the baseboard.

The thing is I need to have six separate draws for the cutlery set with just a indent for most of the utensils not a deep stacking system like the one you’ve done.

The couple of antique cutlery boxes that I’ve looked at that had moulded trays were made from pressed cardboard as far as I could make out then covered with velvet of some sort.

I also took a look at your web site nice site well done keep it going!!!

Thanks again

Gary

Gary,

Just a suggestion, and I'm not really sure if it would work, but have you considered trying to mould the shapes with magical expanding polyurethane foam. It could certainly be a bit messy, but once set the foam could be easily carved. If it won't take your desired finish straight away you could probably coat it with something that would.

You would presumably need to "cast" it somehow to get a workable block, although the rigid insulation foam is the same stuff and would be more consistent. I have a feeling that it may be easier to work than the polystyrene as it can be carved, sanded and cut rather than hot-wired.

Cheers,

Dod

Gary, do you think you could reduce the size of your avatar as its rather large size is reducing the space available to read the message.

Andy

How about papier mache?
You could something like sand to tak an impression then pour in polyfilla. Whan set you will have a mould onto which you can lay strips of paste soaked paper. This dries rock hard and will be in the shape you need.

Some good ideas there thanks.

From your collection of ideas, I am now thinking along the lines of the using that green stuff that flower arrangers use to hold flowers in place don’t know what its called but they sort of stick the stems of flowers into it and if my memory serves me its quite soft and light and maybe would take an impression without to much effort I could then cover it with a spay mounted fabric,,,, maybe worth a try.

Andy, Sorry about the large avatar, I have a large screen so I never noticed the problem. I have now reduced it hope its enough if not give me a shout mate and I will reduce it again.

Thanks all again the more ideas I get the more avenues I can look down.

Gary

GaryD":2va7h3c1 said:
From your collection of ideas, I am now thinking along the lines of the using that green stuff that flower arrangers use to hold flowers in place don’t know what its called but they sort of stick the stems of flowers into it and if my memory serves me its quite soft and light and maybe would take an impression without to much effort I could then cover it with a spay mounted fabric,,,, maybe worth a try.

Is that not called Oasis? I seem to remember that from somewhere. I think it's quite crumbly though

Oasis is the brand name, generically it's "florist's foam" I believe. Trouble is while it'd take the necessary impression easily when required, it also tends to take unwanted impressions when they're not required. :( And while on the subject, as GWW is evidently never going to publish it, florist's foam makes an excellent holder for drill bits, knives, awls etc. Either a big block in the workshop, or as I do, a piece in a lidded box to take small bits on site without them rattling about. FWIW.

Further to Dod's thought of the expanding poly foam, it's a method used to make contoured blocks for sanding mouldings, so I understand, so it should/could work. Maybe if you put it in a plastic bag and then in a former of the right size to fit inside the trays to contain it? :-k

Cheers, Alf

You should be able to cut shapes in polystyrene quite easily with a scrollsaw. I'd give that a bash first before trying Adam's admirable hot wire cutter.

Gill (who apologise for sounding evangelical about scrollsaws yet again :roll: )

Back