Customs dispute!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Currently buried in a dispute with HM C&E over the charges they placed on a Stanley 55 that I bought from the States.

Item was sent marked up as 'used plane parts' and they have interpreted this as it being an engine for a 747 or somesuch!

I have sent them pictures of the plane and close ups of the 1893/1895 patent marks to prove it is an antique.

One month later I hear that this is not good enough and I must supply 'documentary evidence' to prove it is over 100 years old.

Anyone got any idea where I might find such evidence?
regards
Martin

Martin,
Could you ask them who they would accept "documentary evidence" from? I could write a letter stating the plane was 100 years old but I doubt they would accept. Perhaps an auction house could give you a written valuation, for insuarance purposes or sale, based on age.
How far away is the customs office? Could a personal visit with the plane help?

Good luck

Andy

Andy
Interesting thoughts.
An auction house is a good idea though it will cost even more money!
I wondered if there are any web resources that could help.
Martin

The thing is, just 'cos the patent dates are over 100 yrs old, it doesn't necessarily mean the plane is. Really you need someone with Walters' Guide, which has a type study in it I believe, but that could just prove the Customs boys case for them. Could be trying to go down the "antique" road was the wrong option; I never can remember what the Customs rules are on what's applicable for duty and what isn't.

Cheers, Alf

Let them prove it's part of an aircraft or talk to the C & E complaints people. Number is in the book.

Noel

Martin
Top idea!
Mke Hancock gave me the number of a lady who is sending me a 'Certificate of Antiquity' to aim at C&E.
Will let you all know how it goes.
Regards
Martin

dedee":3uwqrgkc said:
Martin

Have you had a look at Patrick's blood and gore?

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan8.htm

Not sure if anything here would be documentary evidence though

Andy

I wouldn't send them to the blood & gore site, they might get suspicous and contact the Department of Homeland Security. :sign3:

Of course, Customs and Homeland Security should contact the department of Military Intelligence ( :lol: ) before they do anything.

BTW, how did you get a 747 engine to fit into a box fit for a Stanley? :roll: :-k ](*,) :-$ (homer) doh!

out of interest, if it's not too nosey, how much did they charge you?

Back