Customs declarations and brexit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nonsense about employing only allowed for people from Europe previously - in fact downright dishonest.

The cap of 20,700 workers per year put on by the EU was lifted after Brexit enabling more skilled workers to enter the Uk.

s James Dyson pointed out this morning,
"We can employ people from all over the world
previously we were only allowed to employ people from Europe and we couldn't get the engineers we needed.
we now have 60 different nationalities now on our Wiltshire site.
would you be able to point to the EU rule which prevented Dyson from employing people form outside of Europe....

" Freedom from the EU allowed Oxford scientists to develop a world beating covid 19 vaccine"
Had we been part of the EU we would not have had freedom of mind under their control.
Would you be kindly point out which EU prevented that...

Sorry but is this supposed to be encouraging news?
Perhaps you should study the bottom line.

Or maybe wait. Rather than clutching at straw men s.
Remember when the day after the referendum the pound was devalued ?

The IMF had been saying for months before that sterling was overvalued by up to 15%.

Every remainer was cock a hoop at the 'vindication' of their belief. o_O

The cap of 20,700 workers per year put on by the EU was lifted after Brexit enabling more skilled workers to enter the Uk.
I think you may be confused by a rule set up by the UK government:

"The total number of CoS that can be used by employers each year is capped at 20,700. This cap on non-EU skilled migration was initially the centrepiece of the suite of policies introduced under the coalition government in 2011 to cut net migration to the “tens of thousands”."

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac..../skilled-non-eu-migration-is-the-cap-in-hand/

I am not aware of any EU rules which set RoW immigration limits

yes it shows an increase -but starting from the very low Jan figures

Exports of goods to the EU, excluding non-monetary gold and other precious metals, partially rebounded in February 2021, increasing by £3.7 billion (46.6%)

Or if you keep quiet as the EU did when they built a 'wall' (financial) in Turkey and Libya to keep out the migrants. Then everyone will be busy focussing their venom on Trump for shouting about his wall.
I am not sure where the EU "kept quiet" about any wall?
I dont believe I mentioned anything about a wall in reference to Trump.

I do recall Trump said: "I am going to build a wall and Mexico will pay for it"

Trump "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. ... They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people,"

Exports of goods to the EU, excluding non-monetary gold and other precious metals, partially rebounded in February 2021, increasing by £3.7 billion (46.6%)

yes but when taken in context it is an increase from a very low position

"Food export struggles seem more systemic for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) after the Brexit transition period’s end, sounding a note of caution despite February export statistics painting a rosier picture than January data."
https://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/A...ight&utm_medium=OnSite&utm_campaign=copyright

As James Dyson pointed out this morning,
previously we were only allowed to employ people from Europe and we couldn't get the engineers we needed.
he also said
" Freedom from the EU allowed Oxford scientists to develop a world beating covid 19 vaccine"
Had we been part of the EU we would not have had freedom of mind under their control.
He must have his facts confused. I work for a US multinational in Dublin and we have - at last count pre-pandemic - 63 nationalities working in the office with us, and not in a token way either, my team was less than half Irish, everyone else was Italian and French and Greek. Looking round the office, you had people from all over - Chinese, Indian, Kenyan, American, English, Polish, Russian, and on and on.
That's in a company operating in the EU. We didn't have any trouble getting the engineers we needed.
Actually, in the IT industry as a whole, the phrase "we can't get the engineers we need" is now universally translated by engineers as "we don't pay enough".

Also, it's hard to not crack up over the AZ comment, because AstraZeneca is a British-Swedish company, whose CEO is French and they worked with Italian pharmaceutical factories to do all the initial manufacturing for developement. Meanwhile the foundational theory behind mRNA vaccines as a whole was developed in the US by a Hungarian immigrant, Moderna was founded by a Canadian who arrived in Canada as a child as a refugee from Beirut and their CEO is a French immigrant, and the Pfizer vaccine, while financed in the US, was developed by Turkish immigrants to Germany (in Berlin) and manufactured in Belgium.

The covid-19 vaccines are a poster child for the benefits of giving immigrants an even chance with everyone else. And AZ is a poster child for cooperation within the EU.

The covid-19 vaccines are a poster child for the benefits of giving immigrants an even chance with everyone else. And AZ is a poster child for cooperation within the EU.
Pre brexit argument No1 top of the charts was "these forriners coming here and taking our jobs"
Post brexit argument according to Dyson (in Singapore): "now we can employ these forriners which we could not do before".
Which is it? I'm a bit confused!

Also, it's hard to not crack up over the AZ comment, because AstraZeneca is a British-Swedish company, whose CEO is French and they worked with Italian pharmaceutical factories to do all the initial manufacturing for developement. Meanwhile the foundational theory behind mRNA vaccines as a whole was developed in the US by a Hungarian immigrant, Moderna was founded by a Canadian who arrived in Canada as a child as a refugee from Beirut and their CEO is a French immigrant, and the Pfizer vaccine, while financed in the US, was developed by Turkish immigrants to Germany (in Berlin) and manufactured in Belgium

Yeah but apart from that, what have immigrants ever done for us?

How's that building concensous going Robin?
If you can't let "all brexiteers are racists and don't want Johnny forrriner here" go, then your previous, quite sensible post was just nothing but a showboating exercise!!

Was this down to any personal experience or just media reports?
Speaking for myself I've never had the slightest problem with any immigrant I've encountered, directly or indirectly. In fact quite the opposite they all seemed to be doing useful and essential jobs.
I've always believed the whole "problem" was a fiction.
As I said in the post, “The vast majority of eu immigrants are hard working, pleasant and a great benefit to uk. I have yet to meet one that did not fall in to this category.”
From the early sixties to mid nineties immigration and emigration was more or less in balance and running at 200k to 300k. Since then immigration has increased and is running at about 600k with emigration at about 350k. I appreciate that immigration from outside the eu has always been greater than from inside. A doubling of the numbers of people coming in to the country is a significant change and not something that has been sensibly debated as to the implications.

Attachments

• 95BD80AE-5BD3-425C-8245-D6D4D3752892.jpeg
    95BD80AE-5BD3-425C-8245-D6D4D3752892.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 3
How's that building concensous going Robin?
If you can't let "all brexiteers are racists and don't want Johnny forrriner here" go, then your previous, quite sensible post was just nothing but a showboating exercise!!
Actually there was no hidden agenda in my post, I just thought the Monty python reference amusing.

I didn't see any connection to racism in Marks post, it's just a counter argument to Dyson.

A doubling of the numbers of people coming in to the country is a significant change and not something that has been sensibly debated as to the implications

Immigration has been something successive governments have encouraged as it fuels our neo liberal economy yet simultaneously put out the message that they are "tough on immigration". Both Labour and Conservative have done this.

theres no doubt the immigration blame game was a narrative of the vote Leave campaign and a section of the media, it played on people's fears.....often wrongly interpreted as racism.

As James Dyson pointed out this morning,

he also said
I have watched the video rather than read reports of what Dyson said. Dyson talked about Brexit giving us an independance of spirit and gave the example of the AZ vaccine. He talked about us not being able to be part of the european development of a vaccine. But the only vaccine developed in Europe I know of is Phizer and that is German. He referred to AZ as a British company when I thought AZ was a Swedish British company. The AZ vaccine was developed when we were in the transition period, following all the EE rules, but the interviewer did not ask that question. How on Earth leaving the EU helped with developing the AZ vaccine I do not know.

I think you need to provide a proper justification of this statement. My understanding is that the EU had no juristiction over immigrants from outside the EU coming in to a member state.

When we were in the EU we regularly had over 300 000 non eu immigrants per annum. I have no idea where your “cap of 20,700 workers per year put on by the EU“ comes from.

.....A doubling of the numbers of people coming in to the country is a significant change and not something that has been sensibly debated as to the implications.
People have been struggling to make a sensible debate about immigration but it has been overwhelmed by anti-immigration lobby hysteria, making claim after claim, strongly tinged with racism, which was the driving force behind brexit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back