Customs declarations and brexit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Consensus is imminent, I'm sure.
We've drawn a blank on any brexit advantages so far.
Early days, it's only been 5 years in the making and the oven ready deal is still under wraps - soon be ready for take off?

We've drawn a blank on any brexit advantages so far.
Early days, it's only been 5 years in the making and the oven ready deal is still under wraps - soon be ready for take off?

I do wonder if we couldn't have had the referendum, leave wins, we "leave", but carry over everything.

Would have given everyone their "sovereignty" (whatever that actually is) and we could have carried on as before, albeit having less control than we used to.

I do wonder if we couldn't have had the referendum, leave wins, we "leave", but carry over everything.

Would have given everyone their "sovereignty" (whatever that actually is) and we could have carried on as before, albeit having less control than we used to.
The problem is that "leave means leave"; in that no form of Brexit was actually palatable to a majority of leave voters, because as soon as any deal was "made flesh" you'd realise the gaping differences between expectation and reality. I don't think any of the pro-leave camps would have accepted the above, and to be fair I couldn't blame them. Not that any alternative option was better mind.

The problem is that "leave means leave"; in that no form of Brexit was actually palatable to a majority of leave voters, because as soon as any deal was "made flesh" you'd realise the gaping differences between expectation and reality. I don't think any of the pro-leave camps would have accepted the above, and to be fair I couldn't blame them. Not that any alternative option was better mind.

They, largely, seem to have accepted the current mess though? Maybe if there was no disruption they would not have felt that they had gotten their monies worth... : (

They, largely, seem to have accepted the current mess though? ....
Not really.
They say get over it, move on, stop talking about it.
They know its a bag of **** and are hoping something will turn up - most likely someone to blame, which will be the EU itself, Covid (a lucky break!) then the remoaners for not grasping all the new found opportunities, then the Irish for causing a lot of bother and so on
Eventually blame may filter down to Johnson, Banks, Farage, Cameron, the right wing media, the weakness of govt and the dodgy money behind the whole **** show.
It's all a lot worse than it looks.

Last edited:
I read this morning that the EU have not ratified the Brexit deal and are holding back because of rules we have broken.

Anybody else read that, or is it a load of rubbish?

Eventually blame may filter down to Johnson, Banks, Farage, Cameron, the right wing media, the weakness of govt and the dodgy money behind the whole **** show.
Sadly, I very, very, much doubt that'll happen. As evidenced by Robin's reference to a Daily Fail article talking about the "EU's new export rules", the gaslighting and blame shifting will simply continue. It's always someone else's fault, basically.

Yep, the withdrawal arrangement hasn't been ratified by the member nations of the EU and has been stipulated as being the result of the UK breaking the treaty and international law twice in relation to the agreement. Well done PM Doris du Cockwomble (I'm really Turkish) Johnstone and Jacob (I live in 1863) Really Moronic MP

Courtesy of the Daily M article:

A huge 98 percent (10,234 readers) urged the Prime Minister to pull the plug on the post-Brexit trade deal altogether if the EU once again delays its ratification.

The remaining two percent (211 readers) disagreed, while less than one percent (54 readers) were undecided.

I'm surprised 99% of their readership actually understood the question!!

@Amateur Brought your other thread into this one, best keep it all in one place.

A senior Labour politician at the time was asked why the remain camp didn't make a better case for staying in and he replied because for most people it couldn't

It is indeed hard to explain to people the benefits of EU membership when the vast majority of the public were and still are blissfully unaware of them.

Ive yet to have a discussion with a brexiter who has any understanding of how the Single Market works.

The common rulebook is misunderstood and is commonly called "EU bureaucracy"
What the EU have done is take national standards, industry standards and written them into a standard format so they are harmonised.....thats a lot of work and in that sense the EU are bureaucratic.

BUT, once those standards are all common to the 28 countries...each business can trade freely without trade barriers.

It enable small and medium businesses and consumers to buy and sell throughout EU with no trade barriers

In simple terms the Single Market front loads the bureaucracy so businesses can sell and buy with no barriers

And the reason why a politician cant make a case for it: because its technical, its complicated, its boring and so not easy to sell as a political slogan.

however "get back control" "get back sovereignty" etc etc is easy to sell.....even though it is meaningless and falls apart under scrutiny and is demonstrably untrue

Ah so either way I end up with an option I don’t want.
in terms of Ireland, brexiters were told they could have their brexit and there would be no border......which was a lie.

luckily our brexit govt and brexit supporters have a real positive solution: blame the EU and or claim its "teething troubles"

Can you name one good thing that's come out of the EU that couldn't have been done without the existence of the EU?

Quite obviously you could have had the same level of co-operation without a central body / title.

I mean, its not a mathematical impossibility.

Or were you wanting to discuss probabilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back