Customs declarations and brexit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When ? D Raab answered to this question already : I think if you take a 10-year view, as well as looking at the short-term risk, which is right to do, actually the growth opportunities in the future are going to come from emerging and developing economies around the world.

So, just wait 10 years. And people who will loose/are loosing their jobs because their small company cant adjust with this overall mess, well... just tell your bank to stop the mortgage repayments for 10 years.

Anyway, any potential ill-effect of the brexit will be blamed on covid, so BJ & Co are quite safe for the time being...

As for the benefits ? SOVEREIGNTY !
Raab... Raab.... isn't that the fella who freely admitted he hadn't realised the UK was an island? 😁

Well, it's not quite as good as paying a bit for all the benefits:
But he laments the loss of U.K. influence over the program and how the money is spent, because those decisions will only be made by EU countries.
It's not unprecedented - there are sixteen countries doing this.
Same thing is happening with euratom and iter and some other large projects. But things like Galileo (the GPS thing) are now gone and there won't be EU funding to tech startups in the UK under this, the way there is for member states.

Funny though, UK has agreed to pay 250 m£ to remain in the European research program. I thought "leave means leave !" but if we can stay a bit for the benefits, well...

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/12/brexit-deal-secures-uk-access-european-research-funds
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if lots of stuff like that happens in the background (i.e. paying individually for bits we want). I suppose you could spin that either way (as a good or bad thing).

There was a Conservative political broadcast the other night and they are still selling themselves as the party that will keep taxes low! Like it or not we are in for some expensive times, a lot needs to be paid for
Yes that is going to be something that we are all going to have to accept, debts have to be paid and we as a country do have a really big debt. But as for forms and form filling is that not something we all have been doing for a long time, forms for this and forms for that and yes the whole system could be simplified but we have too many unemployable people who are only capable of generating forms, and they keep churning them out and changing them for something to do.
I think we have become a nation of paper managers, we have so many people shuffling forms and paper now compared to people doing actual productive jobs.

You mean like the drop in the value of the pound, the loss of significant bodies (such as the European Medicines Agency), the increased paperwork and barriers to trade, the negative affects on research funding, the loss of UK input into future (EU) rules that will almost certainly still affect us, the rising tensions along the NI/ROI border, the increased possibility of Scottish independence, the increases in recordings of racist attacks, the loss of foreign medical staff who are critical to the NHS, the reduced opportunities for our kids to travel and work freely, the queues of HGVs at the borders, the UK companies being advised to open EU offices to avoid the problems we've caused ourselves, the backdoor introduction of measures to lower food standards and personal rights, and the Brits being kicked out of Spain?

Yeah..... But, apart from that ?
What have the Romans ever done for us ?

Not convinced about that; I mean, there are certainly people who have changed their minds since the vote (in both directions, to be fair) but a large number still wanted the prizes they'd been promised. I mean, just look at these threads; it's obvious the promises were fantasy, but it's not like there's consensus that leaving was a bad idea.

On the subject of "red" areas going "blue"; it's not as though Corbyn was a vocal remainer, so it's hard to characterise that swing as mainly being a pro-leave statement. A pro "we're tired of this, just do something" statement, maybe.
I think going blue was partly due to the voters not enjoying the high wages and benefits as those in the south. The voters were misled in thinking the same government would suddenly be different from the one already in power for 10 years.
I think many areas went blue because traditional labour voters didn't vote (Corbyn effect) for labour, not because they all decided to vote Tory.

Raab... Raab.... isn't that the fella who freely admitted he hadn't realised the UK was an island? 😁

It's definitely not. It's a university in Kentucky. Blue and white, and England isn't a country - it's an actor, and spelled wrong. Freddy.

I think going blue was partly due to the voters not enjoying the high wages and benefits as those in the south. The voters were misled in thinking the same government would suddenly be different from the one already in power for 10 years.
I think many areas went blue because traditional labour voters didn't vote (Corbyn effect) for labour, not because they all decided to vote Tory.
I think the Corbyn effect was significant as well. The man should have stepped down long before the election, in my opinion.
I would have said he was totally unelectable, but then along comes Bozo...

I think the Corbyn effect was significant as well. The man should have stepped down long before the election, in my opinion.
I would have said he was totally unelectable, but then along comes Bozo...
Corbyn effect was largely a media construction - probably the most vilified politician in recent history.
On the knocker we asked people why they didn't like Corbyn and 9 times out of 10 they couldn't put their finger on it.
Your expression "totally unelectable" came up a lot but then it would if repeated ad infinitum by all the media at every opportunity.
Corbyn surprised everybody in 2017 by destroying May's majority - obviously not "totally unelectable" so they made sure it wouldn't happen again.

Corbyn effect was largely a media construction - probably the most vilified politician in recent history.
On the knocker we asked people why they didn't like Corbyn and 9 times out of 10 they couldn't put their finger on it.
Your expression "totally unelectable" came up a lot but then it would if repeated ad infinitum by all the media at every opportunity.
Corbyn surprised everybody in 2017 by destroying May's majority - obviously not "totally unelectable" so they made sure it wouldn't happen again.
Well I have to differ.
But talking of power, ours is back on again now after a 7 hour cut, so I shall get back to doing normal stuff.

It was a sad spectacle to watch. I mean, the man is clearly against Zionist expansion, as most of the world is, but that alone allowed the media to condition (and this is the sad bit) so many of the population into believing he is an anti-semite.

Whilst at the same time, the blond lad with the fake messy hair is busy talking about hook nosed Arabs etc etc etc.

Im wondering who the new enemy will be. Like the cartoon of the banker stealing all the cookies, the way the conservatives get the working man on side is by convincing him that someone, generally poorer than him, with even less power, is somehow reducing his position.

We have had the people with nothing in boats, rolled in with the EU masters, but how long will that go on for, post brexit, before a new enemy is hatched, rather like the swap between Eurasia and Eastasia, mid speech.

The fact the UK voted for Brexit shows we have democracy
Democracy is illusory in the this country.

People will vote against their best interests as the media shapes the narrative.

A functioning democray requires an informed public - how can you have that when the media estates are owned by 5 billionaires and the BBC has been politicised by the Tory party.

The vote Leave campaign sold the electorate a Brexit that could never be delivered....and it hasn't, because it doesn't exist.

Here is an example: the fishing community were convinced Brexit would mean they "get back control of fishing".....what has Brexit done? A= the exact opposite, its wrecked their livlehoods because it's taken away control.

You might argue, the fisherman exercised their democratic right by voting to make themselves worse off....but the reality is, they were lied to. Ironically EU funding supported many fishing communities....now all gone. Fishing is not in Tory heartlands and it's not a cash cow for Tory mates.....so fishing is buggered.

I never felt he was a bad person but never a leader. He had some good policies but carried to much, possibly unfair, baggage. Sitting on the fence over brexit rather scuppered him for a lot of people. He'd been anti EU for years but wouldn't come out for either side.
Having said that, I think he would have got a better deal with the EU than Boris.

There are/were labour strongholds here in the North East where they could put up a monkey and get it elected with huge majorities, in fact they did! o_O Some of them got a hell of a shock in the last general election when those areas which had never been anything but labour turned blue overnight, one of the strongest with previous huge majority retained the labour vote only by the skin of his teeth so people can make a difference but only if they really want to and can be bothered to get off their collective backsides and put a cross in the box!

Unfortunately the problem with FPTP is it means elections are swung on a few marginal seats.

Corbyn seriously weakened the red wall in the 2017 election with many Labour MPs losing much of their majority.

It's ironic really, the red wall is a region that has been neglected for many decades....due to many many years of neo liberalism and a move from industrial to financial services. And the red wall voted for the party whose ideology caused their regions neglect.

I would love to see this country levelling up, the Tory party have made it a manifesto promise....were they just buying voters or will it happen? I really can't see Brexit doing much levelling up.

I never felt he was a bad person but never a leader. He had some good policies but carried to much, possibly unfair, baggage. Sitting on the fence over brexit rather scuppered him for a lot of people. He'd been anti EU for years but wouldn't come out for either side.
Having said that, I think he would have got a better deal with the EU than Boris.
Sat on the fence for so long he had a permanent groove side to side across his backside. I note that Jacob is still trying to spin for him on the forums despite the fact he's out of the picture. ;) :LOL:

It was a sad spectacle to watch. I mean, the man is clearly against Zionist expansion, as most of the world is, but that alone allowed the media to condition (and this is the sad bit) so many of the population into believing he is an anti-semite

Corbyn and momentum worked hard to expunge moderates from Labour. The moderates faught back....and anti semitism was the weapon they used.
Corbyn wasn't anti Semitic, but he was ideologically opposed to Israels wealth created by capitalism.

Sat on the fence for so long he had a permanent groove side to side across his backside. I note that Jacob is still trying to spin for him on the forums despite the fact he's out of the picture. ;) :LOL:
I didn't bring Corbyn up! I notice you are still stirring against him yourself despite the fact that he's out of the picture.

The irony is that both the hard right and hard left were both opposed to EU membership.

But Corbyn couldn't campaign for a hard Brexit because that was identical to the other side.....so Corbyn went for fence sitting, trying to appease leavers and remainers and managed to upset both.

I well remember on the on the last now long gone Brexit thread many people mocking how few trade deals the UK had arranged at the time. Anybody wish to comment on the situation now that has been done at a time when the whole world is in the grip of a pandemic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back