Customs declarations and brexit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The votes over guys, those of us who wanted to stay in lost, we need to get over it. Lets try to vote in some decent politicians it can be done. People who can show they have achieved something. Why is MP the only job you can apply for without a CV?

There was a Conservative political broadcast the other night and they are still selling themselves as the party that will keep taxes low! Like it or not we are in for some expensive times, a lot needs to be paid for but we have been bribed before at the expense of increasing social division and they are trying to do it again. Our democracy such as it is gives us what the average person deserves lets try to deserve a bit more and vote as we each see national interest as opposed to self interest - just a thought.

The votes over guys, those of us who wanted to stay in lost, we need to get over it. Lets try to vote in some decent politicians it can be done. People who can show they have achieved something. Why is MP the only job you can apply for without a CV?

There was a Conservative political broadcast the other night and they are still selling themselves as the party that will keep taxes low! Like it or not we are in for some expensive times, a lot needs to be paid for but we have been bribed before at the expense of increasing social division and they are trying to do it again. Our democracy such as it is gives us what the average person deserves lets try to deserve a bit more and vote as we each see national interest as opposed to self interest - just a thought.
I accept that those who voted to remain lost, and that includes me. But I don't see why I can't legitimately ask for examples of the benefits.
It's also interesting to observe the "backfire effect" in action.

we need to get over it.
Yes, we're stuck with it for the time being. More worrying is that the conditions that led to it haven't changed - political jingoism that seems to influence the punters in a big way, press that offers propaganda rather than news, social media that corrupts the truth and fabricates 'truths', an education system that does little to encourage scrutiny of information, and a vacuous mass culture that perpetuates dim-wit values and lets people hide from reality. None of it's going to change any time soon.

ps that's my analysis of the state of affairs in general, not directed at how anyone who voted one way or the other in the referendum, lots of reasons for that I'm sure

Last edited:
It was remain MP's who prevented a soft Brexit. When Theresa May was PM there was plenty of routes to a soft Brexit but remainers instead focused on a second referendum. The two rounds of indicative votes are a good example of that.
Not really sure that's the case. IRC had the Tory hardliners (e.g. the ironically-named ERG) voted for some of the earlier deals they would have got it through.

I remember seeing that great mind Nadine Dorries passionately explaining that she couldn't support Theresa May's deal because it would leave us with "no MEPs, no voice". Both completely correct, and also a staggering facepalm when you think about it.

and not joining the euro - which we weren't going to anyway.
We are entitled to ask - it's been 5 years since the decision, many years before that in the making and latterly the promise of an oven ready deal.
It's happened, we are here, it appears to be stillborn, dead as a dodo. We are now into the post mortem.

5 years? Come on. 5 years since the vote that politicians didn't like and spent years trying to prevent. It's been a few months since Brexit and in the middle of a pandemic.

We've been in lockdown every day since the implementation period ended.

5 years? Come on. 5 years since the vote that politicians didn't like and spent years trying to prevent. It's been a few months since Brexit and in the middle of a pandemic.

We've been in lockdown every day since the implementation period ended.
Predictable excuses!
It's been talked about for much longer than 5 years but the negotiations started 5 years ago. In any case we are supposed to have had an oven ready deal.
Could rephrase the question - what benefits are you expecting to see, and when?

Predictable excuses!
It's been talked about for much longer than 5 years but the negotiations started 5 years ago. In any case we are supposed to have had an oven ready deal.
I didn't vote for Brexit. I can see both sides of the argument. I only post here because you keep posting misleading information... you're almost as bad as the Daily Mail.

I'd look like a remainer if there were brexit supporters here posting misinformation.

:ROFLMAO: You need to free yourself from this "oppositional disorder" delusion. You never know, you could be wrong about some things!
It's an entertaining idea though - opposition as a "disorder". Sinister too - have you read "1984"?
PS or "Catch 22" - could the first symptom of "oppositional disorder" be a belief that it's the others who have "oppositional disorders". o_O

I'll bet you'll argue endlessly over nearly nothing to prove that you're not oppositional at all.

Some things are worse. I shipped a set of demo equipment to Germany last week and it required a whole bunch of messing around to send it. We have shipped it back and forth between our offices dozens of times in the last five years. This time they want to charge us import duty on it or lodge 20K for a carnet for it. On top of that they want the new value of the kit declared. Most of it is five years old and fully depreciated on our books. All the parts were sourced in the EU originally and are not changing ownership... This delayed the shipping by three days. Our FAE arived in Germany from the UK yesterday and the kit is all still stuck in German customs. Fortunately she drove her car from the UK to Germany and it is fitted with a full set of test equipment so she is going to have to use that rather than the demo system we intended.
On the positive side she was very impressed to receive an EU stamp in her passport!

Why is MP the only job you can apply for without a CV?
Or qualifications of any kind apart from the ability to avoid the truth and shout loudest. Each of them is presented with a uniform on being elected, it's called a turncoat.

Problem is, "the people" were fed a diet of anti-EU propaganda for years, then were presented with a string of attractive sounding claims about how great things would be if we left. None of it was true mind, but that doesn't matter; it worked.
I’d agree with this if it wasn’t for the fact that 3 years after the Brexit vote the party that offered to get Brexit done won the election, by then everyone knew the lies that had been told as the result had been debated ad infinitum.
As @Lons has said areas that were die hard labour went blue overnight it was like a second Brexit vote & again the majority of the voters wanted out.

Personally I’m not political at all I don’t care for any of them but I accept that the majority who could be bothered to vote did so to leave, pointing out the drawbacks won’t solve anything what we need are some decent leaders to make the best of the situation we are now in & to take us forward.

I’d agree with this if it wasn’t for the fact that 3 years after the Brexit vote the party that offered to get Brexit done won the election, by then everyone knew the lies that had been told as the result had been debated ad infinitum.
As @Lons has said areas that were die hard labour went blue overnight it was like a second Brexit vote & again the majority of the voters wanted out.

Personally I’m not political at all I don’t care for any of them but I accept that the majority who could be bothered to vote did so to leave, pointing out the drawbacks won’t solve anything what we need are some decent leaders to make the best of the situation we are now in & to take us forward.
Backfire effect again.

Backfire effect again.
Why isn't it remainers who are suffering from the backfire effect? The vast majority of the things claimed would happen after Brexit haven't happened at all... and we did it at possibly the most difficult time in the last 50 years.

With the way politics are in the U.K. at the moment it could be 47 years before we get rid of despotic governments:

I personally miss the freedom to work across the EU I had as a contractor. In my working life I had to take advantage of it when there wasn't any work in the U.K. Worked in Italy, Germany and Holland.

I hope that freedom returns one day for you and future generations, living in the UK and EU, knowing and working with your neighbours (countries) enriches everyone involved. Deploying resources and labour where they are needed most makes the world the better place and increases everyone's standard of living.

Why isn't it remainers who are suffering from the backfire effect? The vast majority of the things claimed would happen after Brexit haven't happened at all... ......
That's what we said would happen - of the brexit promises at least!
Hence no backfire effect. Glaringly obvious I would have thought.
Meanwhile much of the remoaner pessimism is proving well founded:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56650643Not just the inconvenience suffered by exporters or UK workers in Europe, but a major threat to civil order and the union of the UK.

Last edited:
Why isn't it remainers who are suffering from the backfire effect? The vast majority of the things claimed would happen after Brexit haven't happened at all... and we did it at possibly the most difficult time in the last 50 years.
A good point. Certainly lot of remain voters will be subject to the backfire effect. However, I have to repeat that nobody has yet been able to pinpoint any tangible brexit benefit.
As for the claim that you did it at possibly the most difficult time in the last 50 years, did what exactly? Left with no real deal! So what?

Not convinced about that; I mean, there are certainly people who have changed their minds since the vote (in both directions, to be fair) but a large number still wanted the prizes they'd been promised. I mean, just look at these threads; it's obvious the promises were fantasy, but it's not like there's consensus that leaving was a bad idea.

On the subject of "red" areas going "blue"; it's not as though Corbyn was a vocal remainer, so it's hard to characterise that swing as mainly being a pro-leave statement. A pro "we're tired of this, just do something" statement, maybe.

Why isn't it remainers who are suffering from the backfire effect? The vast majority of the things claimed would happen after Brexit haven't happened at all...
You mean like the drop in the value of the pound, the loss of significant bodies (such as the European Medicines Agency), the increased paperwork and barriers to trade, the negative affects on research funding, the loss of UK input into future (EU) rules that will almost certainly still affect us, the rising tensions along the NI/ROI border, the increased possibility of Scottish independence, the increases in recordings of racist attacks, the loss of foreign medical staff who are critical to the NHS, the reduced opportunities for our kids to travel and work freely, the queues of HGVs at the borders, the UK companies being advised to open EU offices to avoid the problems we've caused ourselves, the backdoor introduction of measures to lower food standards and personal rights, and the Brits being kicked out of Spain?

When ? D Raab answered to this question already : I think if you take a 10-year view, as well as looking at the short-term risk, which is right to do, actually the growth opportunities in the future are going to come from emerging and developing economies around the world.

So, just wait 10 years. And people who will loose/are loosing their jobs because their small company cant adjust with this overall mess, well... just tell your bank to stop the mortgage repayments for 10 years.

Anyway, any potential ill-effect of the brexit will be blamed on covid, so BJ & Co are quite safe for the time being...

As for the benefits ? SOVEREIGNTY !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back