Curvy design problem.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I am designing a dressing table for my wife, the top of which will have a curved front. The drawers on either side of the leg hole will be straight, the top will protrude in an arc over the drawers, and will curve in in the middle over the leg hole.

I hope that made sense. Don't hesitate to ask.

Q. Is there a way of working out the proportion of the curves to the size of the dressing table, bearing in mind that the drawers have to be axccessed. (left of leg hole= 400/leg hole= 500/right of leg hole= 400)?

Q. Is there a way to draw these curves accurately on a isometric drawing?

I must go now, I have a headache trying to explain this.

Any information or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

ATB, Gary.

garywayne":3ma1lcke said:
Hi.

...snip, the top will protrude in an arc over the drawers, and will curve in in the middle over the leg hole....snip...Gary.

Kidney shaped front?

I would work out the size of the curves on plan view, this will establish the radii and where the center of the arcs are located. These can then be plotted ibn isometric or if working in a small scale then an isometric circle template will make it easier.

Good to see someone else who works on a drawingboard although it's times like this that make the CAD programes with their 3D views worth the effort getting to know them.

Robert Ingham has been describing the construction of a similardressing table in the last few issues of F&C but the curves go the oposite way to yours

Jason

For curved work i tend to draw it out full size on a sheet of mdf or whatever is handy and see what looks good , then worry about how im going to shape it :lol: In your case i would work out what size i needed the draws and then design the curve around that . No point having a nice looking dresser you cant fit anything in .

Thats the one Chas, thanks, I must remember that for the future.

Jason, I'll have a go at working from the plan view. I take it an isometric circle template is a piece of plastic with long circles in it?

I do enjoy using the drawing board, but as you say CAD is a good program, but alas I am unable to afford such software.

Regarding F&C, I received my first copy this month. Excellent mag, beats the pants off all the rest, (In my opinion). I don't mean to upset anyone.

JFC, I see what your saying, Its just that I like to do a scale drawing first,(I enjoy the drawing as much as the woodwork). Once I get to the workshop stage I will do as you suggest just to check the proportions and practicality of the curves with the use of the drawers.

Thank you all for your time and knowledge.

ATB, Gary.

Your right Gary the template has elipses at the correct angle for isometric projection though its not to hard to plot the curve if you can remember back to school technical drawing :D

I like F&C, got all but the first couple of issued, you should be able to scale Robert Ingham's dresser from the plan on page 78 and 79 to give you somewhere to start from.

I tend to do a scale drawing first then lay it out full size especially if there are curves involved.

Jason

Back