Curved support structure and wood grain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to work this out myself and couldnt really find much on the subject. If anyone could answer or direct me to where I can learn about it that would be great.

What im wondering is if i had say a bookshelf with curved sides and no back. Would you try to maximise the grain to cover the longest section thats possible down the two side supports?

Thanks

I don't understand how a bookshelf can have sides? A shelf is a flat surface to me.

A picture might help?

Bob

Sorry i'm a bit poor when it comes to using the correct terminologies.

Perhaps a chair would be a better anaology. If you wanted a chair leg with a mild curve, how would you orient the grain to maximise strength. I'm guessing you would just cut it so the grain travels the longest distance possible along the curve, because a straight vertical grain wouldnt reach from one end to the other due to the curve.

I'm not sure I'm thinking of the same things as you but I'll have a go...

As you know, wood can split along the grain, so if you cut a curved piece, with the grain passing through the curve, it may fail under load. So, if you want a curved chair leg you try to do some of these:

a) select a piece of wood where the grain is already curved and follows along the curve
b) use only a slight curve
c) use a naturally stronger wood
d) use a thicker section
e) build up the curve by laminating thin pieces
f) steam wood to soften it and bend it while it is soft.

A commercial maker might well ignore all of these except c and d and just have machine operators cut components ignoring grain direction.

You could apply the same principles to a bookcase, which is what I think you were first asking about, but I'm struggling to visualise it. Books are cuboid, so they fit nicely into right-angled spaces! It would help if you could sketch what you mean - and show in which direction the curve would run.

Thanks, some helpful stuff there.

Heres the shape im after,

12121.jpg

There would be two of these, the other mirrored, both joined to a base and the shelf part enclosed in mortices joint about 3/4 way up. When I was working it out myself it seemed about a 7degree tilt anti clockwise of the grain would provide the longest continual grain lengths, though not in all parts.

The wood I intend to use is maple.

Latest posts

Back