Curry's. - Do NOT buy anything from them at the moment.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re the above: WHY Rorschach??????????(Serious Q, really). Is it "fun" or something?

OK, "each to his own" or something, but to me anyway, I can think of LOTS of ways to have more fun than that (and some of them might even involve sitting at the keyboard too)!

B1 [ C usually plural ]
an accepted principle or instruction that states the way things are or should be done, and tells you what you are allowed or are not allowed to do:

Also please note that while I understand what it means (still think it's silly) I posted to wind up Roger ;)
[/QUOTE]

I see you are going to the trouble of being defensive. When someone says (as we commonly do in England) for example: "As a rule I would do it this way" they are tending to suggest that there are other ways, hence there are exceptions. This is exactly what your second quoted piece is suggesting.

I see no merit in winding anyone up on the internet (or at all). I was just ensuring that the old saying about proving the rule is not misinterpreted by others through your misuse or misunderstanding of it.

B1 [ C usually plural ]
an accepted principle or instruction that states the way things are or should be done, and tells you what you are allowed or are not allowed to do:

Also please note that while I understand what it means (still think it's silly) I posted to wind up Roger ;)

I see you are going to the trouble of being defensive. When someone says (as we commonly do in England) for example: "As a rule I would do it this way" they are tending to suggest that there are other ways, hence there are exceptions. This is exactly what your second quoted piece is suggesting.

I see no merit in winding anyone up on the internet (or at all). I was just ensuring that the old saying about proving the rule is not misinterpreted by others through your misuse or misunderstanding of it.
[/QUOTE]

I understand where you are coming from and I know how the phrase is used, I just think it's one of those things where the meaning of the words has changed over time and it doesn't make sense anymore, to me at least. It's the old oxford comma story or many other similar historical quirks of the English language, it is both the joy and the bane of the English speaker.

The Oxford comma is still alive and well. I studied law at Oxford and the tutors there were obsessed.

My personal favourite is "decimate". Actually means reduced by a tenth, but now commonly used to mean largely destroyed.

My second favourite is disinterested (meaning interested but unbiased) but usually commonly used because people confuse it with uninterested (meaning couldn't give a toss).

Not giving a toss is often my default position. :cool:

Quantum leap is my fave as people seem to think its a big thing rather than "shouldn't have bothered really"

The Oxford comma is still alive and well. I studied law at Oxford and the tutors there were obsessed.

My personal favourite is "decimate". Actually means reduced by a tenth, but now commonly used to mean largely destroyed.

My second favourite is disinterested (meaning interested but unbiased) but usually commonly used because people confuse it with uninterested (meaning couldn't give a toss).

Not giving a toss is often my default position. :cool:

Decimate, an excellent example! It has a historical meaning and a modern meaning, you could argue for either being correct now, in 100 years, maybe it will mean something else.

I wanted 3 sets of front and rear dashcams plus hard wire kits last year, priced them on line and called in to the nearest Curries, checked they were in stock gave them the figures and said "go and ask the branch manager to match that and I'll buy them now", he came back and said that he would offer no discount at all so they lost a £460 sale, I went to Halfords 2 doors away who's manager matched the price

I wrote to the area manager later to say I was pleased they are doing so well they can turn away customers, he rang me and said I definitely should have been offered discount on a multiple purchase and the issue would be raised with the manager, I was offered a £20 voucher for my next Curries purchase which I refused to accept as I wouldn't be buying from them unless no other option. There are always other options.

We ordered a new freezer from Currys in April as ours was failing. Chose one which was in stock and paid for it online. Got a message few days later saying they had run out of stock and did we want to wait or refund. Asked for a refund and got it in a couple of days. Got a letter from them a few days ago apologising for less than great service and enclosing a £20 gift voucher.

Ordered a new PC online and it was delivered next day. No complaints here.

I wrote to the area manager later to say I was pleased they are doing so well they can turn away customers, he rang me and said I definitely should have been offered discount on a multiple purchase and the issue would be raised with the manager, I was offered a £20 voucher for my next Curries purchase which I refused to accept as I wouldn't be buying from them unless no other option. There are always other options.

Why would you want to put a black mark on someones career, when you are never going back, seems rather vendictive for no reason.

Why would you want to put a black mark on someones career, when you are never going back, seems rather vendictive for no reason.
Because that was the third issue with the same manager Bob, that one was trivial as it certainly didn't do any harm and I resisted the urge to do anything before that.
If you are that curious to know I'm happy to tell you but not going into detail on here.

Because that was the third issue with the same manager Bob, that one was trivial as it certainly didn't do any harm and I resisted the urge to do anything before that.
If you are that curious to know I'm happy to tell you but not going into detail on here.
No thats fine. I tend to just let things go.

Most of us just let things go that we are not happy with and move on, but then most of us are not trying to big ourselves up on the internet.

Seldom do I join in these off-topic threads, but that (decimate) caught my eye, i.e., the evolving meaning of words.

For example, it always jars when someone says, "I refute that", or similar phraseology that includes the word refute because my mind is then waiting for the accused to follow up with evidenced refutation disproving whatever malfeasance or dishonesty they have been accused of ... but they never do because they're not refuting anything at all, they're simply denying 'it', whatever 'it' may be. Slainte.

Most of us just let things go that we are not happy with and move on, but then most of us are not trying to big ourselves up on the internet.

Is this aimed at me? I'm a tad confused if it is, trust me I haven't tried to big myself up since about 1972 in primary school in front of Celia Pothelwaite. If anything I have imposter syndrome where I feel I will be found out at any point.

You reap what you sow. People asked for lockdown, people asked for businesses to close, the OP included. Now you are starting to see the consequences.

People DID NOT ASK FOR FRAUDULENT BEHAVIOUR. Currys having stock flow issues does not give them the right to take money for backorders then go silent.

Please give me the name of your business rorschach, because if you think this is OK, I think you might do the same.

RogerS - I would put out a tweet in their website, something they cannot hide, warning people about this.

Is this aimed at me? I'm a tad confused if it is, trust me I haven't tried to big myself up since about 1972 in primary school in front of Celia Pothelwaite. If anything I have imposter syndrome where I feel I will be found out at any point.

What on earth makes you think that my comment was aimed at you?

Back