Curry's. - Do NOT buy anything from them at the moment.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
They do not have the stock. They will take your money. And that, my friends, is the last that you will hear. It is impossible to get to speak to anyone to chase up your order. DAMHIKT.

You are funding their cashflow.

And if you think I am exaggerating, check out their Trustpilot reviews. 67% - 1 star with most people wishing for a Zero star.

Please pass this on.

I had this problem. Ordered a phone for collection on Friday Eve, received a cancellation email sat morning.
Took 5 weeks to get my money back

I went to buy a new monitor for my PC. I spoke with an "assistant" and all I got was "We haven't got any" "but there's some over there" " No we haven't got any" "Thank you" Walked out, will not go back.

John

Reading this with interest as we went in yesterday afternoon and paid for (as they had no stock...) an iphone case/battery. "it'll be delivered to store tomorrow sir".... still waiting :cautious:

As an aside.... my sisters been caught by Harveys 'going to the wall'. She kept being fobbed off by "dont worry madam your order is safe and being processed..." she stands to lose £300 deposit :eek: so i told her to go to her bank asap and ask them to do a cashback to her card. Need to speak to her and see how she got on :unsure:

i bought a fridge from currys last year, a month delay, damaged when it came, and no stock to replace the damaged item. Customer services pretty useless, eventually got a small discount on the price.

It’s not just Currys it’s a pretty common experience.

Back in May I ordered a Summerhouse from Wayfair with a promised delivery of June 19th. Eventually delivered 11 August when the components were dumped on a pallet with a warning to check and inspect before employing tradesman. Anyhoo after 8 hours of checking I had a Long list of shortfalls (like no door or window components) and issues - wood warped into fair imitations of hockey sticks and components differing from the dimensional drawing from 20-100mm.

Wayfair responded to each email with we will get back to you in 3-5 business days and in short after about a dozen emails and even more telephone calls I lost total confidence and demanded a refund and told them to collect this ‘fn pallet load of firewood’ - it gets collected on Monday.
The manufacturer was Shire Garden buildings - who were equally unimpressive.
Currently sketching out designs to build from scratch - it’s the only way to assure quality. (Anyone know where I can get plans that are not a scam operation)?

Wayfair is nothing more than a "front end" for sellers .... this is the text for potential sellers interested in joining:

Wayfair is an American online seller of home goods and furniture. They operate in other countries such as Canada, Ireland and the UK.
They are exclusively a homewares marketplace and a leading marketplace for items in the home categories.
To become a seller on Wayfair, you are required to complete the seller application form.
Wayfair operate a drop shipping model meaning they don't hold the stock of merchants.
Once a sale is made, Wayfair will notify you of the order. You are then required to fulfil the order using Wayfair's courier accounts. The delivery then arrives at the buyer with a Wayfair packing slip.
Wayfair charges sellers a small commission, but also negotiate pricing with their merchants. This typically tends to be on a wholesale price basis.

As with Amazon and other sales front-ends (even ebay) it's often very simple to find the actual supplier and deal direct, often at a lower price* - the sellers use the front-ends as a fast-track to greater exposure at relatively low cost. What is unclear is where the buyer/seller contract sits . . . .

Drifting back to the OP it does seem that an awful lot of goods of all varieties are in short supply - try buying an entry-level or mid-range bicycle!

* and the same applies for hotel bookings - find it on booking.com, get a better deal direct (y)

Speaking of Wayfair, I was perusing their site not long ago as I wanted a more comfortable office chair. Some of them were pushing £500, some were a third of that, some even less. One thing they all had in common was their country of origin - China.

In fact I then went on a completely random search of stuff and 100% of the items were made in China.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not surprised that stuff is made in China, but everything?!?! Oh, just before I posted this I went on and picked out a set of spoons and they were made in China. As is everything made by a company called Portmeirion, which definitely doesn't sound Chinese.

ps just found a Moroccan rug that wasn't made in China. It was made in Moro....just kidding, it was Turkey.

Not true. To "prove" here means to test. The "rule" is the generality. The exception demonstrates that the generality applies. :censored:
The old-fashioned use of ‘prove’ to mean ‘test’ causes confusion. We retain the use in ‘proving ground’, and guns are still ‘proofed’ for safety.

The phrase ‘exception that proves the rule’ is just a description - equal to saying ‘there’s an exception to test our rule’. It doesn’t imply that an exception somehow validates a rule.

Another (extremely irritating) misphrasing is ‘the proof is in the pudding’. Now, why would that be the case? The phrase is ‘the proof of the pudding is in the eating’, and if you apply the old sense of ‘proof’ here it makes perfect sense.

Just an update.... we finally got an email from Currys at 5ish to say your order (iphone battery/case) was ready for collection.

While there we went to the Carphone Warehouse dept and asked one of the guys if we could buy and have fitted some screen protectors. We had to wait as they were very busy. While they were being fitted i tried to make some small talk with the guy, who you could see was very stressed out. I asked is it always this busy.? "yes... well... ever since they closed ALL the stand-alone Carphone stores its been non stop, and management dont listen to us saying we're struggling to cope and won't pay for a couple of extra staff". I then asked if he's managing to get his due breaks... "no... haven't got time to stop we're that busy.."

So to be fair.... i take my hat off to all the guys and gals in Currys / Carphone Warehouse / M&S / John Lewis (we had an horrendous experience in there Tuesday :eek:) and all the other stores, as i for one wouldn't want to be working in these very strange times in retail at the moment 👏👏👏

ps just found a Moroccan rug that wasn't made in China. It was made in Moro....just kidding, it was Turkey.

I once, many years ago picked up a classy box of Turkish Delight someone had bought my mother. Iirc it was made by Hadji Bey's Turkish Emporium ................................. Dublin.

Back