Curry's. - Do NOT buy anything from them at the moment.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how will things ever improve ?
To be honest, I'm more concerned about my well being, I find for me personally if I get wound up it does me harm, as a result I prefer to let things go (especially as in Lons case where he had already decided he would never use the shop again) than extend the time I dwell on them. Letting things go is great for ones well being.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about my well being, I find for me personally if I get wound up it does me harm, as a result I prefer to let things go (especially as in Lons case where he had already decided he would never use the shop again) than extend the time I dwell on them. Letting things go is great for ones well being.
Spot on. Took me years to learn this. Totally agree. Nothing much can wind me up now. Much healthier.

My view was always that feedback is vital and that problems and issues are known as long as they are acted upon and lessons learned, as Roger said " how will things ever improve" if you don't know about it? A disgruntled customer might just walk away but won't come back and is highly likely to slag off the company to all and sundry, we've seen some of that on the forum have we not.

It's much easier and cheaper to keep a customer than procure new ones and if one of your customers has a problem, providing you act quickly, communicate effectively and resolve the issue you will likely have that customer for a very long time.
The customer is very definitely not always right and sometimes you need to disagree with them but most people can handle that as long as you're truthful and transparent.

Just to put my Currys comment into perspective, in my email to the area manager I didn't name the branch manager, I didn't make a complaint, I questioned their company policy of not offering discount and suggested that was handing business to their competitor, which it did in my case That was the excuse I was given in store!. Only during his phone call to me did I answer the questions he asked about the store and it's manager. I see nothing wrong in that whatsoever as even though I'd had previous problems I didn't slag off the manager.

Latest bullshit from Currys. I found a link to cancel the item. Got this email from them overnight.

Hi Roger,

Thank you for your return request. We have tried to process your return but unfortunately, need some more information.

Please call us back on 0344 561 1234 to discuss this further.

We look forward to helping you soon.

Kind Regards

Currys PC World

Absolute tosh. Where's the order number ? It's an automatic response to avoid refunding my money. Lying toe rags..

I found an email link to customer services. I emailed them. Then got this reply.

This mailbox is no longer active, please visit our contact us page for further information on how to talk to us https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/contact-us-1181-theme.html

If any company deserves to go to the wall then it is this one.

Currys are useful.
You can see in the flesh, so to speak, what you want to buy and then get it elsewhere.
We have just bought an oven and hob. Went to currys on Monday to see lots of options, then went over the other side of town to a local company with a much smaller showroom and bought both there. Total extra cost £2. They deliver today.

Can't remember the last time I actually bought anything from currys, do they still do that annoying thing were the staff try to foist an extended guarantee that costs close to purchase price?

Yes, it is how the company actually makes the majority of it's profit.

do they still do that annoying thing were the staff try to foist an extended guarantee that costs close to purchase price?

They do, you say "no thank you" and they don't ask again.............. :)

I bought an android tablet at my local Currys a while ago and they signed me up to a support contract without my knowledge. It was actually the manager who did it - he served me at the till when no one else was available. I definitely wasn't asked if I wanted one.

The first I knew of this was checking my credit card statement online. There was a charge from "Product Support AG" and an 0844 telephone number as the reference. Googling the phone number revealed pages of people complaining about being caught in the same way. I called Currys customer service (there was no way was calling an 0844 number and contributing even more revenue. Sitting on hold on a pay per minute business rate number is all part of the scam, of course) and after a VERY long hold managed to cancel the agreement. This was pre-covid; I dread to think what hoops I'd need to jump through now.

Their business model is dreadful. The business is run by a bunch of barrow-boys who treat their staff appallingly. A word of advice when shopping at Currys: always check your receipt immediately for unexpected extras. Or better still, shop elsewhere.

A word of advice when shopping at Currys: always check your receipt immediately for unexpected extras. Or better still, shop elsewhere.

I think receipts from anywhere should be checked. I'm not approving of their conduct but surely you check receipts of all purchases, before entering pin or handing over dough. i.e if the purchase is £350 and they put £475 in the till how did you not know, irrespective of card of cash.

I think receipts from anywhere should be checked. I'm not approving of their conduct but surely you check receipts of all purchases, before entering pin or handing over dough. i.e if the purchase is £350 and they put £475 in the till how did you not know, irrespective of card of cash.

Ah but there's the catch. I always check the amount before paying, and I keep receipts in the box the item came in. (And keep the box until the warranty expires.) The amount on the receipt was for the item only. The small print listed the support charge, payments for which commenced a month later.

But you're quite right. Once bitten twice shy.

Despite a so called regulatory review these sharp practices around add ons for warranties continue. The commission earned is often more than the profit to the distributor on the product being bought. It’s the same with the pisch products that the “Commercial Manager” who it seems they make it obligatory that you talk to when buying a new car. Inchcape have this great wheeze of saying that the Financial Conduct Authority rules make it obligatory that he tells you about all their great products ... which they don’t. If they had to tell customers what the claims ratio was on Gap Insurance (last time I looked less than 10%) and as part of their sales pitch tell the customer how much of the premium was paid as commission (probably 50%) to the dealer it would be a far fairer way of doing business. We might see the price of cars go up though as they’d need to make money from selling cars rather than mugging consumers. Sorry for the rant!

this thread reminds me why I stopped shopping at currys and PC world over a decade ago, I had problems getting my money back from PC world, I had to resort to threatening legal action to finally get the money back and showing them a printed document that showed my consumer rights, never again...a customer shouldn't have to go that far just to get a refund 🤪

How depressing must it be to be the person on the end of the customer support line whose job it is, all day, to listen to irate customers who have been conned into unwanted support contracts. What a world.

How depressing must it be to be the person on the end of the customer support line whose job it is, all day, to listen to irate customers who have been conned into unwanted support contracts. What a world.

Any kind of customer support is depressing, retail in general can be pretty depressing as well, I wouldn't like to go back to either of them.

Angry people on phones are horrible.
Many many years ago I worked for sky, I rang up pubs and asked them if they were showing the football in the bar ................ "yes we are mate" ........... great, do you show all the games ........ "yes we do mate" ....... I'm from sky, you don't have a commercial package, your bill will go from £25/month to £350/month ........... "you what mate, you F!!**ng C..$t" blah, blah, blah ................. I hated it.

Try doing it as part of QC on government dept helplines like DWP, Student Loans and a few others; totally soul destroying and at times heartbreaking

Why are you sticking up for Currys? Have you got shares in them ?

I for one am glad that the issue of 'exception that proves the rule' etc has died. These are just sayings anyway, like old wives tales. Usually a load of nonsense, although there is one OWT that I know from personal experience is absolutely correct - if you step on the cracks in the paving the bears will get you. I had a very narrow escape there once - never again. So much more careful now.

PS Thanks to all for the warnings about Currys etc. Well worth knowing

K

Why are you sticking up for Currys? Have you got shares in them ?
Why not, you are happy to slag them off, I am happy to voice my dealings with them.
If this upsets you then you are an odd one surely?
So, balance, I bought a laptop from curry's on friday hassle free.
I also dislike people naming and shaming on public forums when things haven't gone right for them, all seems rather vendictive, also thought it was not allowed on here as far as I was aware.
I also said check all receipts not just currys, good common sense.
I hope this answers your question, I don't hold any shares unless they are in my pension platform.

Latest posts

Back