Current project..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Walnut & Almond lidded box with an Ipe lid and Maple finial, made from scrap and firewood.

Attachments

• photo_2020-08-31_09-25-48.jpg
    photo_2020-08-31_09-25-48.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 18
  • photo_2020-08-31_09-26-00.jpg
    photo_2020-08-31_09-26-00.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 18
  • photo_2020-08-31_09-26-06.jpg
    photo_2020-08-31_09-26-06.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I have a few almond trees and any wood from them splits and cracks almost immediately. Is there a magic trick to getting usable wood? I assume from the firewood comment you didn't treat anything with kid gloves before making a fabulous box. My almond wood also changes colour as you watch it - does yours do the same? Goes from pale to dark orange within minutes of being cut.

just to add.....
mine is sized big enough for pen blanks....
the biggest trunk is around 4"....but I'll speak to our firewood man for other......
as for wood prep after cutting up....any wet wood......
all the ends got a good heavy coat of oil based undercoat....then stored outside in a perm shady spot...under a heavy tarp....
will have a nosey tomorrow.....

I have a few almond trees and any wood from them splits and cracks almost immediately. Is there a magic trick to getting usable wood? I assume from the firewood comment you didn't treat anything with kid gloves before making a fabulous box. My almond wood also changes colour as you watch it - does yours do the same? Goes from pale to dark orange within minutes of being cut.
Indeed the colour change is amazing and drastic, yes the Almond can split easily, I tend to leave any rescued firewood logs and stash them under my work bench for a year or so, most of my work incorporating Almond is fairly small as smaller bits tend to crack less, also I'm no fan of the smell, really strong and pungent....and no idon't use any sealer to treat them... Cheers

Back