Current overload

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil_symonds

Reaction score
Hello Team. I bought a Teknova 3000 for my son in law, second hand. The fault has just come up on the pane, already having a main circuit board recently. It was the. Followed by a bang from the motor area, now it won’t work. Any ideas or anyone I can get to look at it. We are in Salisbury UK. Phil

I'm guessing that sounds like the windings in the motor short circuited, or could be the capacitor. My first thoughts would be to pull the motor out and check the windings resistance with a multi meter. Also, look for any burn marks around the motor, or see if any smoke escaped. Check the wiring in the machine, look for any blackened or discoloured wiring. Sorry I can't help you more, a local electrician may be able to verify my guess for you. Send some photos.

Regards,

Dan

Make sure the appliance is unplugged, before looking inside, I may be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but better to be safe than sorry.

Also, if you can give a sequence of events, that happened when the fault occured, that will help the troubleshooting. Pardon my complete ignorance, but what exactly is a Teknova 3000?

Dan

already having a main circuit board recently
Looking at that manual, it uses pulleys for the speeds and so no electronic's so apart from a "bang" was there any smell of burning?

Have you actually seen this machine running because if you have then there is no reason for the motor to fail during transportation, more likely something that was coming loose has or a foreign object has become involved.

You need to check the motor turns freely, then check all connections are tight, no signs of overheating and then your next move is to get the motor checked by a motor repair shop because there is little else you can do without electrical knowledge.

Presumably you have done the obvious and checked it is the lathe not the supply or the socket, or simply a blown fuse in the plug.

Hello all. The teknova is a small wood working machine. It’s an electronic version so no pulleys but variable speed motor. I have had the pcb’s out and no obvious signes of an overload. I am moving to the motor tonight. An electrician is bringing his multimeter. I will keep you posted. Phil

@phil_symonds keep us posted. I've mended a couple of variable motor speed controllers for friends of friends (I used to work with electronics before I retired) so may ge able to help. See if your electrician can determine if it's a DC or AC motor - it's often a DC motor in speed controllers .
Martin

Not sure if failed/damaged windings will cause a bang. Sound more like capacitor to me. If you haven't seen it running, it may have been wired wrong.

Thanks for the updates. Electrician tested the windings and motor and that’s good. He suspects it’s the sensor/pcb that controls the speed and motor. Would this go pop do you think? My son in law said he was having issues with the speed of the machine? If it is the pcb is it replaceable? P

@phil_symonds Yes I believe so. I also think that the motor (of either variety) is unlikely to go pop loudly. It is more likely to be a capacitor either the start cap if it's an AC motor or somewhere in the electronics if it is a speed controlled DC motor.
Martin

Back