Current cost of standard oak board 1"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Whats the current cost from the saw mill, of a bog standard off saw 1" board, which were usually around about 9 or 10 feet, and about 8 or 9 inches wide, standard 1" thick(30mm) American white oak. Grade A.
Now I think the last shop i was in paid about 40 or so quid a board - This was a number of years ago.
Interested to know how much it is now.
I dont need to know par, or anything special. Bog standard white, average dimensions they usually send you

Getting double glazing in and we inquired about just in the front room bay window, how much for an oak sill. (Which is usually about 3/4" thick, total would add up to about 9'
This is obviously bought in by the window company, so they'll be putting their mark up on it, but there were wanting do do that sill for £379
Which i found hilarious. In a shocked to the core sort of way :LOL:

To think I used to use 1/2 a dozen boards of the above off saw size in a project, and was quite devil may care about what i scrapped.

Told these folk no. Ive the planer/thicknesser there, so can dress up my own boards and over clad the window sill later on.

I can't even ask them what prices are anymore because I know it's going to be ridiculous, in USA prices have gone down after the pandemic, here they've gone up and stayed up and continue to go up... expect it to be at least triple what it was before.

Think European Oak is roughly £2,500 m3 + vat at the moment so

0.026m (1") x 0.225m (9") x 3m (10') x £2,500 x 1.2 (vat) = £52.65p

Based on British Hardwoods prices
Exact dimensions planed all round works out at £80 inc vat
Rough sawn 1" board works out at £41 inc vat. In practice you would have to buy slightly longer and slightly wider so say 25% extra which you may be able to use on other project

your best bet is to go buy oak t and g flooring. Just before xmas, i got some 20mm thick, 165mm cover was £8ish plus vat, 190 cover was about £10 plus vat ( per meter )
Jewsons hit me up for £5.60 plus vat /m for 6x1 pine pse!!!!!

your best bet is to go buy oak t and g flooring. Just before xmas, i got some 20mm thick, 165mm cover was £8ish plus vat,
I'll look into that, but i dont think ill get board sizes , most flooring is short, narrow lengths for the best part.

Think European Oak is roughly £2,500 m3 + vat at the moment so

0.026m (1") x 0.225m (9") x 3m (10') x £2,500 x 1.2 (vat) = £52.65p

That makes sense.
Bumped into my old boss on the way back from the supermarket tonight, he lives along the way. So took to opportunity to ask him what were were originally paying a plank of oak , which he reckoned was about 20-25 quid. for 9'-10'x9" min,x 1"
If its roughly £50 a board now, thats ok still. Thankfully Im not in industry for customers, or things could be tricky price/profit wise. But I think if i pick up 8 good boards of American white oak, for about 400, thats enough to be getting on with for my small projects and isn't going to break the bank.

Thanks for the replies thus far :cool:

Locally ( devon ) we have a place called southern timber and they do up to 215 wide, all at 3m lengths. Although the cupping risks at that width are high

fairly sure of the prices.....memory loss.....?
I asked for a comparison a week ago about the very same costings..
euro oak 2000euros + vat for a cub/m
American oak 2200euro's +vat for a cub/m

£50 board + £30 for planing and finishing + £5 for transport + £60 for fitting (wages) + £10 for sundries/fixings = £155. Business operates on 50% gross margin out of which business takes fixed overheads and profit, so £310 +Vat = £372

Not an unreasonable price really.

£50 board + £30 for planing and finishing + £5 for transport + £60 for fitting (wages) + £10 for sundries/fixings = £155. Business operates on 50% gross margin out of which business takes fixed overheads and profit, so £310 +Vat = £372

From a business perspective, totally correct.
Triton has the ability to do it himself though, so he can save the 50% business overheads etc by doing it himself at the cost if materials and time.

Unless I've misunderstood;

50% of £155 is £77.50, so the price should be £232.50 before vat.
With the vat would be £279.00.

Unless I've misunderstood;

50% of £155 is £77.50, so the price should be £232.50 before vat.
With the vat would be £279.00.
I suspect that Mr Rusty is suggesting that 'business' operates on 50% of the retail price is profit!! - certainly never in my calculations :unsure: so he is simply doubling the gross cost. You are suggesting that 'business' operates with a 50% MarkUp - again, I should be so lucky!!

In reality any commodity can command any price that 'the market' will stand and - since the abolition of resale price maintenance (1964 Resale Price Act) - the concept of selling at a figure calculated on a 'cost plus %' is outdated.

I took it to be he meant the overheads, profit/ loss is covered by doubling the cost. I think the 50% bit was maybe a way of trying to put that in words? It did mention gross in his post, so maybe 50% of the gross quote is to cover overheads etc?

In the example quoted - and assuming that I'm doing the 'finishing' & 'fitting' - (and that it's a cost+% concept) - I would expect to sell at £50+£10 (materials) = £60 + 30% MU = £78 plus £95 (fit, finish, transport) = £173 + VAT (£34.60) = £207.60.

There is no way that I could justify adding 50% to the wages etc. !

I agree its over priced, but your average customer who wants an oak cill probably just says ok.
Mr Rusty's example was aimed at explaining the window companies pricing, which in his opinion is ok, and in a business perspective its good if they get it.

Its so busy here that my q.s was telling me that another builder just added 20k to a 75k quote and he still got it. Thats mad

Obviously quite a few people have no idea about mark-up and margin. Margin is the difference between your per-job costs and your sales price as a % of sales price, so buy at 50, sell at 100 is 50% margin. This is very typical GM for many business who are not one man bands. Out of gross margin comes all the operating costs of the business - vehicles, insurances, building costs, trade association fees, fuel, heating, waste disposal, admin salaries, directors salaries, etc etc. The company for which I am a director operates on a target GM of 40-65% depending on whether we are reselling or manufacturing. Our EBIT is in single digit %. If our margin was any less we would be making a loss.

Last edited:
I've bought oak from Deep in Wood Oxfordshire bespoke furniture Oxfordshire handmade furniture . They (well it is actually a one man band) specialize in oak, and supply it to other major wood yards like Whitmores up near Leicester. Last plank I bought, which was enough for a 400 x 400 x 80 mm chopping board without much waste was £36. Rough planed with no waney edge.

But he said that there was a major problem with oak prices being high, because European supplies were in demand because most is now shipped to China, where they pay premium prices.

Craig

The place I worked at 30+ years ago worked on an 80% mark up on all stock sold. I guessed it was 80% because of the number of tradesmen (cabinet makers etc.,) asking for discounts -- whether cash or account clients. Also the same thing with the number of returning "hobby" craft wood workers wanting at a discount.

Obviously quite a few people have no idea about mark-up and margin. Margin is the difference between your per-job costs and your sales price as a % of sales price, so buy at 50, sell at 100 is 50% margin. This is very typical GM for many business who are not one man bands. Out of gross margin comes all the operating costs of the business - vehicles, insurances, building costs, trade association fees, fuel, heating, waste disposal, admin salaries, directors salaries, etc etc. The company for which I am a director operates on a target GM of 40-65% depending on whether we are reselling or manufacturing. Our EBIT is in single digit %. If our margin was any less we would be making a loss.

Everyday's a school day, as they say. :)

Back