Curling end of flat bar?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munty Scruntfundle

Established Member
Reaction score
HI there. Two quick questions of the day...

What do you call the curl on the end of flat bar as you would see on a wall bracket? It must have a name.

And, can anyone recommend a small machine for achieving the curl?

I've forked out for one of the cheapo things you find on eBay and Amazon made from plastic steel which fall apart in half an hour, with a load of work, washers, bushes, new pins and blocks I've got it working fairly well, but with the geometry I can't see anyway something like this can create a full curl, I can get a bend to around 190-200 degrees, but no more. Do people just finish the last fit off with heat and a hammer?

Thanks.

It's called a 'Scroll'.

is there a machine?

I thought that you get the bar red-hot and twist it around a former - or shape it on an anvil, stopping when you get the shape that you want.

Ahhh, thanks. I was thinking finule, and I'm still not sure what one of those is! The machine I was talking about is sold as a metal bender, but it's really not up to much.

That's an interesting machine, it's doing a bit more than I really need. I could do with a very simple loop (as complete as possible) on the end of a straight edge. I think I'll have to make something up. Although the fancy scroll machine has been noted and put in the memory bank.

Thanks so much folks.

A sledgehammer head makes a good anvil should one want a hardy hole for making
the ends a bit more Fibonacci like...if you wanted and the flats on the end aren't a thing?
That and a big cold chisel would do the hard bit.

Sorry don't think I have a piccy of starting a bend like that,
This is just to show another way of bending and just to note this is a sort of loaded gun,
hence the foot, handy thing to have if stuck,
but sounds like the specific bending jig might be the way to go.

SAM_5045.JPG

Was trying to find a youtube but cannot find a particular video,
and to be honest the scrolls look a bit off on many of those cold working fabricating tips channels,
Seems they prove a method, and disregard the bit of fettling necessary to produce a nice bend, though I'm guessing some do put effort into making nicer jigs.
I guess it's a start should you want to find those
Sorry I can't remember if it was this one or not, as they all seem to be very similar channels.

Two hefty bolts in some hefty plate,
Distance set so you can get the bend you want with the bar you have.
Heat helps?
Leverage helps even more.
Sure there must be a youtube video using similar?

Check out Metal craft. They sell scroll formers of various sizes. For flat bar of various sizes. I have the largest version and it will fabricate scrolls in seconds..
Tony

Two hefty bolts in some hefty plate,
Distance set so you can get the bend you want with the bar you have.
Heat helps?
Leverage helps even more.
Sure there must be a youtube video using similar?
+1 for the above
I've tried two round bars in a vise with some success.
If you have an anvil, look for 'bending forks' online, they fit in the Hardy hole (or could be clamped in a vise).

HI there. Two quick questions of the day...

What do you call the curl on the end of flat bar as you would see on a wall bracket? It must have a name.

And, can anyone recommend a small machine for achieving the curl?

I've forked out for one of the cheapo things you find on eBay and Amazon made from plastic steel which fall apart in half an hour, with a load of work, washers, bushes, new pins and blocks I've got it working fairly well, but with the geometry I can't see anyway something like this can create a full curl, I can get a bend to around 190-200 degrees, but no more. Do people just finish the last fit off with heat and a hammer?

Thanks.
Look in FH Brundles online catalogue.
Regards,
Dave

Latest posts

Back