Crown guard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
Just brought an A4 sized sheet of perspex to make a crown guard anyone made one?

Thinking 2" top 3" sides 2" DX port on top.

Attached to a post offset on the saw??

I'd have a look on you tube, at least for ideas as to how to connect or mount it. Always things and ideas/directions from a bit of visual prodding.

I've thought of making the support out of 40mm waste pipe so that the DX goes out through same pipe?
The trade axi do that.....

Both a really bad idea - perspex and offset.
You can't beat the standard riving-knife plus crown-guard which comes with most machines. Tough non shatter plastic (not perspex) and centrally mounted.
Off-set means if it touches the blade it can skew sideways and be pulled off its mountings and chewed up, with debris flying about.
Riving knife mounted can touch the blade and just get a bit cut without you hardly noticing.
Waste pipe mounting even worse - just too flimsy. If you must have it offset it needs to be a sturdy steel construction.

...Off-set means if it touches the blade it can skew sideways and be pulled off its mountings and chewed up, with debris flying about.
Riving knife mounted can touch the blade and just get a bit cut without you hardly noticing...
I have the crown guard mounted on very sturdy offset arms on my Waddie. I see what Jacob is saying but I haven't hit the blade yet.

With regard to a riving knife mounted guard, what you need the ask yourself is: are you the sort of person who will meticulously reattach the guard each time after doing less-than-full-depth cuts? Because if you're not, the crown guard will end up sitting on a shelf when you can't be ar$ed refitting it each time.

My tuppence worth.

Cheers, Vann.

I have the crown guard mounted on very sturdy offset arms on my Waddie. I see what Jacob is saying but I haven't hit the blade yet.

With regard to a riving knife mounted guard, what you need the ask yourself is: are you the sort of person who will meticulously reattach the guard each time after doing less-than-full-depth cuts? Because if you're not, the crown guard will end up sitting on a shelf when you can't be ar$ed refitting it each time.

My tuppence worth.

Cheers, Vann.
You'll probably get a bit more careful with the riving knife after you've had a few scary moments.
Anyway it's not only a safety measure it's a useful accessory for efficient sawing.

Back