Crown Guard Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary_S

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I like the idea of having a crown guard / extractor but do not want to pay £600 for one. Has anyone an alternative for this?
1640783492276.png

I don't see the point of this as the blade deposits most if not all dust below the blade as it cuts downwards, I would say this is an expensive gimmick.

A well set up crown guard extraction makes a massive reduction in dust . Mine is similar to the set up shown but is part home made. When you look at it the moving part up/down is only 2 box sections fitted into 2 channels at each end. The main support arm on mine is simple box section welded into a U shape. I recon you could get one fabricated for less than £100

I don't see the point of this as the blade deposits most if not all dust below the blade as it cuts downwards
Thats what I have found, plenty of suction below and there is no dust to get brought back up. If I run with reduced suction due to tank filled then yes I do get dust thrown up by the rear of the blade.

I find extraction on the crown guard helps a lot.

The reason I want the overhead type is so I can free my riving knife of the crown guard so I can make through cuts but still have the blade guarded, I know this doesn't bother some people but it does me.

I'm at a stage in life where I tend to buy things like this rather than make them due to lack of free time.

If anyone fancies making one from wood this is quite a good one from Mike Farrington.

How big is the saw ?
I'm in the process of building an overhead guard for mine. The arm is a power feeder arm. Massively more rigid than the commercial ones for less (but still quite a lot of) cash.
A lot of dust gets carried around by a saw blade and thrown forwards at the user, so I think crown guards have an important role to play. My plan is to have a close fitting guard extracted by a shop vac to get the high suction needed to be effective. A close fitting guard requires a very rigid arm. I've never seen a commercial one for a saw that was as rigid as I want hence the choice of a power feeder arm. The caveat is that I have a large industrial saw in a small shop. It's limited by circumstances to 24" max using the rip fence. That's fine for me, but you won't get a power feed arm to span a 4 foot rip cut. Also, because of the arm, a DIY build like mine will still cost a big slice of that £600

Balance the total air inlet area to match the CSA of the extraction hose and the below table extraction will be much improved and no need for above table collection.
Most cabinet saws let in far too much air which ruins the collection performance.

You could look into a Shark Guard setup. Even with a guard and overhead kit the cost will be under the one you showed. The only unknown to me is the import taxes but maybe because it is a safety related item it is exempt. An assumption because some safety items are not taxed here.

Pete

Thats what I have found, plenty of suction below and there is no dust to get brought back up. If I run with reduced suction due to tank filled then yes I do get dust thrown up by the rear of the blade.
Me too.
Maybe increase suction below instead of wasting time on top. Can't say I get much dust at all coming up, unless the extractor isn't switched on

I don't see the point of this as the blade deposits most if not all dust below the blade as it cuts downwards, I would say this is an expensive gimmick.

Its not really about the extraction, more about guarding the blade without the traditional crown guards/ riving knife combo being a general pain and useless to the degree most people take them off.

I have seen a few people make their own from plywood etc on youtube and maybe a plan in an old magazine..

edit:
just saw RichardG`s link , looks good.

Ollie

One mistake is to take a branch pipe from your big extractor and attach that to the crown guard. You just reduce pull below and get more dust above, so it looks like it's doing something but isn't.
Needs a separate vac - high suction pressure, lower volume a.k.a. HPLV. Not HVLP for a big 4 or 5" dia pipe extractor

I’m lucky that I have a whacking great big three bag commercial dust extraction system, if I am occasionally doing a through cut and take the crown guard off, the amount of dust is quite considerable, so crown guards do reduce mess and health issues. This is my setup.

B5FC4FF1-CD73-43CE-80DA-CFDE839A6970.jpeg

I have an Axminster Axminster Trade AT254SB cabinet saw with the Record Power 3000 dust extractor attached. I cut the riving knife down as I was doing a lot of work with a cross cut sled and thus have no crown guard mounting point for the original.

I was watching my son rip some poplar yesterday and sawe the dust flying up from the blade. The extractor takes a lot of stuff but not the dust.

Latest posts

Back