Crown Flush Cut Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kygaloot

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in need of a flush cutting saw and was wondering if anyone has experience with the Crown version. My question is whether it cuts the dowel without leaving any trace on the adjacent timber - as the Japanese saws do so well.

Jeff

"The teeth of our Flush Trim Saw do not have a set, so the blade can lay flat to trim plugs and pins without damage to the surface of your work. The blade has 20 teeth per inch and is mounted in a rosewood handle. This saw cuts on the push stroke. The blade length is 6" and overall length is 11" "

Jeff, as described the saw is only set on one side of the body of the saw. Therefore, when positioned correctly the teeth will cut in front and above only and leave the adjoining material unmarked, as opposed to the teeth cutting on each side. Personally I use the Veritas single bladed saw although I may upgrade to the double edged version as once in a while I have to use mine with my not so dominant left hand.

Noel, who gets easily confused.....

Jeff,

Even flush cut saws can leave a mark if one is careless. I usually cut with a playing card between the work and the saw then plane or chisel the remainder. The edge of a chisel also leaves a nice polished surface to the dowel, or plug which is superior to a sawn surface.

Chris,

That is a great tip. Much appreciated. :)

And...that helps me with my purchase decision. I prefer the look of the Crown, what with the turned rosewood handle and brass fitttings, to the Japanese variety and using your technique, either would work well.

Jeff

waterhead37":3vore2gl said:
Even flush cut saws can leave a mark if one is careless. I usually cut with a playing card between the work and the saw then plane or chisel the remainder. The edge of a chisel also leaves a nice polished surface to the dowel, or plug which is superior to a sawn surface.
Not being one for games of Patience in the workshop, I use a card scraper twixt saw and surface. What's the good of having paring chisels if you don't leave something to pare once in a while anyway? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Chris,

I stick a strip of insulation tape on the saw to keep the teeth off the surface of the job, means I don't have to keep looking for the playing card. :oops:

Alf,
I think I prefer Dave's idea - with a scraper, I am going to mess up my saw's teeth with/and the beautiful burr on the scraper!

OTOH, insulating tape always seems to leave or create a mess at its edges after a while..

I think on balance, I shall stick with my cards - I always have a supply, they make great shims for stuff like fences that aren't quite square - Post-its are good for that too. :)

Alf":3psij7pw said:
Not being one for games of Patience in the workshop

Nor me, I am one of the most impatient people I know. It makes it doubly hard therefore to recall something in a book I just read - a biography of Leonardo da Vinci. He said "Impatience is the Mother of Stupidity"

'Strueth and don't I know it!

waterhead37":1xq03dor said:
I think I prefer Dave's idea - with a scraper, I am going to mess up my saw's teeth with/and the beautiful burr on the scraper!
Oh please, no. Don't tell me, on top of everything else, you keep all your scrapers sharp and ready for use?! :roll: < wanders off shaking head in despair at such outrageous organisation>

As it happens, with a small scraper, there's no reason for the teeth to touch the metal at all. Not with my derided flush cutting saw, anyway... And it's always handy. Mind you usually there's a roll of tape handy too, but I find it tends to get a bit nasty with the passage of blade over surface. However, remind me to stick a packet of playing cards in the "miscellaneous" list for the tool chest. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Christ wrote,

Nor me, I am one of the most impatient people I know.

Chris, you are very modest. I looked through all 22 pages of your Maloof-esque rocking chair project, and would conclude that only a patient person could do such fine and exacting work.

Jeff

waterhead37":n8ulowl9 said:
It did push the envelope though!

So just what sort of edge do you use on an envelope? :shock:

If Chris is using it should we assume it gets a stamp of approval? :wink: :roll:

Back