Crosscutting thin strips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I need to accurately cross cut some thin strips from a 12" wide board. I only have the bosch gts 10 to do this and I wondered if anyone could either tell me the best way to do this, or point me in the direction of an article or other thread that would tell me. Preferably keeping my fingers full length...
Any help would be great
Thank you

You could buy yourself the Kreg Square-Cut saw guide (not very expensive) which is designed precisely to aid accurate cross-cutting of boards up to 12" wide. Or you could make something similar easily enough - the principle is very straightforward - but it's hardly worth the time it considering how cheap the Kreg is.

No I don't think you have. The kreg tool is essentially the same outcome as a guide rail, just different ways to get there.

12" long strips entirely of end grain.

Depending on how thick (or thin!) they are, aren't they likely to snap or even crumble when handled? :?

Fraser, can't really help you on this but here's something to think about for the future. I'm in the process of shutting up my London workshop and moving to Lymington, just across the Solent from you. The new workshop should be up and running in the autumn. So if you're in a similar position then let me know whenever you're passing and we'll whizz it through a bigger machine.

looks a handy jig. Like an Incra fence but on a much smaller/cheaper scale for a specific task.

I've read this thread several times and am not sure whether you have your answer yet. You've told us what tablesaw you have and immediately people suggest using some other tools. What is the problem with crosscutting at the moment? Is it the accuracy of the fence, the difficulty of pushing the cut wood through without it launching backwards ...? It's the sort of job where a home made cross-cut sled would be invaluable.

Brian

The jist of it basically revolves around the fact there is no stop to pull your timber against whilst pushing it through to crosscut. at the moment, I am working to pencil lines and cutting as close as I can. Obviously this is not accurate. It seems most other mitre gauges that you can buy, kreg and others, are made to fit what I understand is a more universal track, 19mm, so these aren't suitable.

Could you use your mitre fence and rip fence with a sub-fence (say, a piece of 2x1) attached to the back part which releases the cut wood just after the cut begins and thereby prevents jams and kickbacks.
Brian

saw%20top.png

brihol":2u49xb26 said:
I've read this thread several times and am not sure whether you have your answer yet. You've told us what tablesaw you have and immediately people suggest using some other tools. What is the problem with crosscutting at the moment? Is it the accuracy of the fence, the difficulty of pushing the cut wood through without it launching backwards ...? It's the sort of job where a home made cross-cut sled would be invaluable.

Brian

Brian, I was thinking exactly the same, we have here a table saw quite capable of making very accurate repeatable cuts either with a quick made one off sled specifically for the job but if you have a nice table saw then why not make a decent cross-cut sled because I can guarantee that it will be used over and over, it is one of my most used aids and to get it to cut exactly square check how this guy sets it up. http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/ ... -cut-sled/
If this route is not to be taken then the table saw must have come supplied with a mitre gauge, screw a strip of wood the gauge to carry the work forward square to the blade and clamp a stop to the table saw on the other side of the blade to the thickness you want, slide your work across to meet the stop and bob's your uncle, so they say, you have strips cut to exactly the same length.

Andy

Latest posts

Back