Crosscut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philpolish

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody
I am looking for some advice on the best way to handle crosscutting. I have a small capacity sliding chop saw of around 250mm. I want to crosscut around 500-550mm. I use a RAS at work and would like to purchase one for myself the thing is I have a Triton TS with extension table which I bought for ripping but it is not somerthing I pictucuarly like to use.
My workspace is around 20 feet by 15, do I get rid of the triton and get a TS or a RAS and keep the Triton.
Any suggestions will be very welcome i have a budget of around £800 - £900

Many thanks Phil.

Phil
What sort of length boards are you talking about cutting?
A table saw with sliding table is all the rage nowadays-RAS are kinda on the decline.
I recently sold my sliding mitre saw-all cross cutting is done by:
a: big pieces-jigsaw/circular saw or
b: hand saw
c: more manageable stuff-table saw

hope this helps
regards
Philly :D

I have a RAS with 8ft of bench space either side but it is seldom used. Most work is done on my kitty with sliding carrage unless it is too long/heavy.

As philly says a lot depends on what you are cutting, the longer/heavier then the more substantial the carrage needs to be or resort to a straight egde and skill saw/router.

For that money you could get the scheppach TS 2010 will all the tables & stand or the Fox 10" saw which has a bigger carriage(not sure what the quality is like)

Jason

This sounds like a job for the Festool MFT (multi function table). I have one, and do all my up to 600mm crosscutting on it. Quick, simple accurate. Outlay approx £350 for the MFT and £350? for the saw. All the info can be found in the Festool section of
www.woodshopdemos.com
John

If you've got the Triton, then why don't you convert it to cross-cut mode?

It will cope with 600mm, and it's designed to do it. I know it's a hassle to convert - I've got one myself - but it's a darn site cheaper than buying a new saw :wink:.

Having said that, I'd love the Festool MFT/CS combo. Here's hoping a friend gets a job where I work and I get some bounty :)

Pete

(edited to change a fiend into a friend - if only it was always that easy :roll:)

Here's hoping a fiend gets a job where I work
Huh? :shock:

I wouldn't want to meet your enemies then! :twisted: :D

cambournepete":1nm7cuu0 said:
If you've got the Triton, then why don't you convert it to cross-cut mode?

It will cope with 600mm, and it's designed to do it. I know it's a hassle to convert - I've got one myself - but it's a darn site cheaper than buying a new saw :wink:.

Pete

was going to say the same thing. I have been timing myself and i have it down to 2 minutes 15 seconds 8)

hi
u could pick a dewalt powershop ras from ebay, some models have a
revolving head allowing you 2 rip with them 2

Thanks all for your suggestions. I mainly want it for making cabinets and trimming doors to length nothing with any weight. What sort of capacity can you cut with the kity 419 anywhere around 550. Have looked at the Kity before looks like a nice machine.
Thanks again Phil.

Latest posts

Back