Quantcast

Crossbow finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to complete a crossbow stock built from pretty knotty mulberry. How would you finish it? I am not set up for spraying, so brushed or rubbed finishes please.

MikeG.

Damocles.
Reaction score
stuckinthemud":2eiahrxo said:
I am about to complete a crossbow stock built from pretty knotty mulberry. How would you finish it?.......
Smeared with the blood of heathens is traditional, isn't it? :)

NickM

Established Member
Reaction score
Phil Pascoe":jiybqkru said:
TruOil is great stuff for this sort of thing. I've done a couple of rifle stocks with it and they look great several years later having spent hour outside in both baking sun and torrential rain.

sunnybob

be afraid, be very afraid
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it a full strength "shoot through 6 men in armour in a line" type of crossbow?

Make sure none of your pretty knots go all the way from top to bottom or you might get a very nasty snap back if it fails under load. Straight solid timber is best.
Of course if its a wall hanger, none of that applies. 8)

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
Nope, 45lb pull, mostly destined to be a man-cave wall hanging. Didn't know tru-oil was available in the UK

profchris

Established Member
Reaction score
I've used Tru-Oil a lot for musical instruments. Easily available online, usually via eBay.

I recommend the smallest possible bottle, unless you are planning to build more in the near future. After a few months open it thickens and tends not to cure properly.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
We need a picture of this crossbow!

Do you mean 45 lb pull? That is barely anything for a crossbow surely? My limited knowledge of seeing them on display is that Medieval lightweight hunting bows had about 45 lbs pull (or a bit more) and war bows over 1000lb.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
Your not wrong, it is about the same as a kids archery bow, but I based it on the limit for re-enactment, and on something manageable for plinking fun without a spanning device. You can't put a figure on medieval draw weights as there are 3 or 4 materials (composite, steel, yew and yew/sinew) and numerous classes of crossbow, but they ranged from 150lb (early yew hunting lightweight) to 1200lb (late medieval military) . A figure of 500lb is probably a good ballpark for a light bow in the late medieval period

Bm101

Lean into the curve.
Reaction score
profchris":1l72eus9 said:
I've used Tru-Oil a lot for musical instruments. Easily available online, usually via eBay.

I recommend the smallest possible bottle, unless you are planning to build more in the near future. After a few months open it thickens and tends not to cure properly.
A tip I saw on here to counter this. Use a pin to make a hole in the foil, its plenty big enough. Then store the bottles upside down in a small tupperware tub.
The sealer/grain filler is worth using too. A little of either goes a long way and if it's a sunny day you can apply lots of thin oil coats relatively quickly.