Cross Dowels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Alan,

What finish do you want? Not very helpful I'm afraid.

But, if you want an antique looking finish you can use--not sure if it's called something else there--gun bluing. It will in a matter of seconds when applied to steel turn it a kind of old bluish bronze looking color, depending on the type of steel.

The below shelf pin liners, shelf pin and hinge where stainless steel. The rust inside the shelf pin liners is due to not drying off the water after treatment (you rinse the treated steel after application). These were the first I tried this on.

cabinet_0001.JPG

Why yes I do believe it is, Alf.

Just make sure to dry well after rinsing--I just placed my first ones as seen in the picture into a warm oven and they took long enough to dry that those ones rusted.

Since then, after neutralizing the bluing with water I swirl them around in a disposable paper cup that has denatured alcohol in it and then dry with paper towels and let them sit.

I just use a good paste wax afterwards.

Oh, and looking at the site you provided, Alf, I see they have something specifically for brass here. Neat!

Thanks for a good idea. I'm not 100% decided on the look I want but was thinking along the lines of nickle or possible antique bronze.

Cheers

Alan

Back