cross cutting saw...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodypk

Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking at investing in a cross cut saw with the VERY occasional plywood ripping capacity.

I'd like to be in a position to get myself a lovely Alt F45 panel saw, but due to current workshop space restrictions, that ain't gonna happen right now...

So I'm looking at getting myself either a plunge saw or circular saw which will ride on tracks.

Currently, I'm looking at the Festool TS 55 and TS 75 as well as the Mafell MT55 and also the track riding circular saws - the Festool HK55 using the FSK rails and the Mafell KSS60 or similar size.

I'm manly cross cutting components in small size cabinet making, bookshelves, side tables and the like. Solid wood thicknesses up to 1" with the occasional 2" thick table top thrown in there. Up to now, I've been cutting close with an old bosch circular saw, then trimming to the line with a router. I'd now like to make this job a bit more efficient as well as creating less dust.

I know some of the circular saws will ride on the longer tracks such as the Festool HK 55 which will work great with the FSK track for shorter cross cuts but also working on the FS rails when I occasionally want to rip up some plywood.

Can anyone share their thoughts and opinions on what would be the best tool for this job. If you've used/have any of these tools, please let me know what you'd think would work best for what.

I have 'had a go' on a Mafell MT55 and Festool TS 55 but only ripping a few sheets of ply width ways at a friends shop, so it really doesn't offer me much in the way of help making a decision since it's not what I'm going to be using it for.

Cheers guys,

Tom

what about a radial arm saw?

I wouldn't use it for ripping ply but if that is only occasional there are ways around that.

Marcros,

Space in the shop is very limited. Also, I don't want to remove the possibility of making long rip cuts completely.

The festool track sections just slot together so you can effectively do any length. Cant say about the mafell, but id think so.
Time 8 mins 25sec shows an example. Just to confirm, should you ever wish to build a boat :LOL:

Hi,
Firstly, i recently started watching the peter millard videos on youtube ( strangely addictive ) and if you watch his vid on building mdf cabinet doors, you can see his setup. Hes got a festool plunge saw on a track, the track is fixed at 90° to his bench and on a hinge system ( festool i believe) so it gets lifted up and stays upright until he wants it. Im actually thinking i might make something similar for my makita kit ( although i only occasionally do long crosscuts and need to work out a depth of cut adjustment for the track )

Most tracks have jointing rods so you can extend them. I believe makita do a 3m track? Although it probably costs a bomb. Id get a 1m and a 1.5 to joint together when required

why buy a tool when you have everything you need to make your own?

get a strip of 1/2"ply around 8- 10" wide" and carefully attach a 1/2" x 1 inchish strip to it, maybe 5 1/2" from edge. ensuring it is absolutely straight. Then with a circ saw and a fine-tooth blade run it down the strip to cut off the excess taking care to ensure it is tight against the guide stip Then, to rip your ply, measure, and align your board with the marks, clamp it and rip away.... (you may want to check your circ saw for side-play if it is old--that's not good) your guide prevents rip out, on the upper surface.

I've got three of em. an 8' a 5' and a 3' version set for different circular saws. and have used them to cut finished panels with no problems.

Suggest you build one and try it out.

Eric

I did one too using 9mm ply for the base and 12mm to run against, it works fine but its thicker than a track which limits overall depth ( im using a battery 165mm makita )
I do however wish i had made the 12mm rail wider to give a bigger area for clamps.

If i do the bench modification i will definitely get a track for it

Time 8 mins 25sec shows an example. Just to confirm, should you ever wish to build a boat :LOL:

Just finished watching this boat build series. Funny guy and a pretty damn nice boat. One day I'd like to have a go. Could do with a massive workshop though. And a little foreman to keep me in line :p

I have 'had a go' on a Mafell MT55 and Festool TS 55 but only ripping a few sheets of ply width ways at a friends shop, so it really doesn't offer me much in the way of help making a decision since it's not what I'm going to be using it for.

I would suggest that you try out the cuts you want to make with your friends tools before you spend money on tools you may not need.

I think that there may be a lot of people who don't like his style but I enjoy bourbon moth's videos he is both informative and entertaining.

Back