Cross cutting oak beam

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for really big stuff I'd rather not lift it at all if possible, preferring instead to work on batons about an inch off the floor. just enough to get them raised but not enough that things get nasty when something drops.

El Barto":1v5ezqhd said:
That pretty much covers it I reckon. Working with large pieces of oak is often difficult on a bench because, aside from getting them up there, everything ends up being too high. Whereas with trestles you can basically have any height you want.

That's good then. Was just hoping I wasn't merrily oblivious to something obviously important.

BTW, I picked up one of the Narex side axes from Workshop Heaven (you mentioned them in another thread with regard to hewing beams). The flat side of them [the one not pictured in the product photos!] was horribly pitted about an inch+ all the way along the cutting edge. Hopefully they're not all like that because it really was, and still is, pretty carp even when you're expecting to have to sharpen it up before use.

El Barto":1d6e4vfd said:
Yikes! What did Workshop Heaven have to say about it? That's a shame; I've always had positive experiences with Narex tools.
I didn't take it up with them given the price and just set about sorting it. Still a bit to go on that front but it's usable. Don't tell Jacob but I picked up a couple of Gransfors (the mini and splitting hatchets) as well. They'll be in the family for generations to come [only once I'm in the ground]!

Luckily I can't figure out which bevel / handle combo of their broad axe would work for a leftie or I'd sell a child and get one ;)

*don't click the link

*don't click the link

*don't click the link

*Nope. Not gonna click that

*don't click the link

*Click!

Thanks for that as I wasn't 100% on how they decide which is way is left or right. I'll keep my children though... for now.

Back