Crooked box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La Truciolara

Established Member
Reaction score
In order to go beyond traditional boxes I turned this sycamore box with the Ecoulen chuck. The difficulty lie in the fact that no abrasive can be used as the wood turns in very strange position making the sanding quite hazardous. I must say I didn’t use any finish either as this is still an exercise prior to have full control of the technique.

Paul.J":2i4k4d1e said:
That is amazing :D
How have you done it.Is it just one piece of wood :?:
Think i'll just stick to bowls :roll:
Paul.J.
It is a box. It is in three pieces, the box, the lid and the stick

I must confess I really like this sort of thing. I have had a go at simple offcentre work and found it really hard to plan ahead and achieve a pleasing shape like this. I find it a real challenge trying to see where the centres were. I think I can see most on this one except the indent on the top of the lid or was that carved?

Wish I could afford one of your courses then you could teach me:cry:

Pete

Bodrighy":2dxkl18t said:
I must confess I really like this sort of thing. I have had a go at simple offcentre work and found it really hard to plan ahead and achieve a pleasing shape like this. I find it a real challenge trying to see where the centres were. I think I can see most on this one except the indent on the top of the lid or was that carved?
Pete
No, no part is carved, every thing is turned, but to do this sort of piece you must have the wood desaxed and decentered (I do not know the british terms... that means that you have to have the center of the wood, on the side of the engine, not at the center of the lathe, and in addition the piece of wood must do an angle as compared to the bench of the lathe)

Hi La Truciolara, very impressive work.

Never having seen the Ecoulen chuck can you tell me is it similar to a ball inside a collar, with the work mounted on the ball part? I have looked at the off-centre chucks Craft Supplies and R Sorby sell and to my mind they are far too expensive for what little you can achieve with them.

If you don't mind telling, how much is the Ecoulen chuck?

Looking forward to seeing what else you do with your new toy. :lol:

TEP":1mi3iic8 said:
Hi La Truciolara, very impressive work.

Never having seen the Ecoulen chuck can you tell me is it similar to a ball inside a collar, with the work mounted on the ball part? I have looked at the off-centre chucks Craft Supplies and R Sorby sell and to my mind they are far too expensive for what little you can achieve with them.

If you don't mind telling, how much is the Ecoulen chuck?

Looking forward to seeing what else you do with your new toy. :lol:
Tep, there are 3 Escoulen chucks so you have quite a choice:
Escoulen number one has the ball inside a collar (in france at Bordet € 258 )

PS: by the way, the piece , as is, has been sold today for more than the chuck :wink:
Escoulen number 3 has no ball and you have a variety of axes parallel with your lathe (plus a fantastic balancing system) (in france at Bordet € 344)

Escoulen Number 2 is a combination of both and I have used it at Escoulen's

PS: by the way the piece, as is, has been sold for more than the chuck :wink:

now, thanks to my daughter and her boyfriend, a professional "fashion photographer", I now have a much nicer picture to show, even if we are still talking of the same piece of turned wood

Back