Critique Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1mbr0wn

Established Member
Reaction score
A stool for my granddaughter.

Is there any type of wood that do now work together, my reason for this is that for my sins i am slightly colour blind and i have never ever been able to co-ordinate the clothes that i wear. :? :? I have had so much micky taken out of my i just brush it off now :D :D .

The seat is American Yellow Pine and legs are Sycamore. It looks fine to me but does to they work together as do all woods work together.

Thanks for your comments.

Jim

Attachments

• Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 948
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 949
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 948
IMO, which is what you asked for, the legs are far to good for the seat.

It's not a matter of colour; it goes way beyond that. The legs have real style - stunning.

Don't get me wrong, I would love the piece for what it is, but those legs are something else :)

My non-colourblind opinion is this:-

I like it, and I think they go very well together.
I expect it to be more of a personal preference thing for those who do/don't think so.

As the saying goes - beauty's in the eye of the beholder.

Thank you for all the comments everyone much appreciated.

Is there any types of wood that wont work together, the only other dry piece i have big enough is some mahogany for the seat but i looked at the 4 pieces unturned and thought it didn't look right so i used the pine.

Gerry / hope that wrist get better soon but take your time don't overdo it.

Thanks Jim.

Gonna do a couple of small bits over the weekend just to finish off a couple of gifts, then most likely no more til after the turn of the year.
Not looking forward to the physio, as any more than about a half inch of movement and the tendons send a seering pain right into my hand.
Thankfully I have 2 nice sturdy gauntlets for while I'm turning.

As for the mahogany, again I'd say it's down to the individual.
If you don't think it'll work then don't put them together.
Obviously just my own opinion, others may vary.

Either way, the stool has come out great the way you've done it.

I did think about it Jim as I think to be involved in a club is a great idea, but I'm in Dailly (on the inner edge of the middle of nowhere, for those who don't know where Dailly is) & don't have transport so it'd be a bit of a jaunt for me by bus.
If one was to start down here (tried to get one going recently, but the interest level was a complete zero) I'd be one of the first in the queue.

I think with a mahogany would look great.
I like light and dark woods together. I've recently turned some mahogany... rattyest most un interesting bit of wood I've ever bought.... and it looks beautiful... I now cant get enough.

I was going to say earlier about the contrasting light and dark woods... but wasn't sure with the colour blindness if dark and light is distinguishable?

its only slight colour blindness, more your greens browns and reds, maybe its just a me thing and i just cant co-ordinate clothes :D :D

Jim, I think the mahogony would be too heavy for the top and I think that what you have turned is very good and you will be number one Grandad!

I'm not colour blind either, aircraft ectricians aren't allowed to be, ancient or modern and yer legs look good too and I don't say that to too many blokes either :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It is a fine piece of work and the combination of the pine and sycamore works very well. My only reservation is that the legs are a bit pointed and may wear a hole in a carpet and I would of left them a larger diameter and rounded the base slightly. Also it would be nice to engrave a message on the top to the person who is receiving it.

Latest posts

Back