Critique my first project.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some recommendations, Rob Cosmans first dovetail DVD, read Alan Peter's method of cutting dovetails, it is on the internet if you search for it, sawcut to sawcut joinery and an excellent method of marking out using dividers, this is the method Cosman uses in his DVD, I believe David Charlesworth also uses this method.
Good first attempt, keep practicing, you'll get better results in no time at all.
Stock preparation is very important, it must be accurate to achieve the best results.
Mark.
Dunno I'd recommend going to the other extreme and searching Youtube for "fast dovetails" (and/or easy, quick, freehand etc).
This one is good John Butler (no relation) he does it pinholes first but could do the two sides together. He's being a bit smart alec by not using a cutting gauge for the lines but otherwise well worth a look. No coping saw - they are just for amateurs! I think he's a really good example to follow. Practice with a couple of boards, just one DT, saw them off and do more, until you can get them fast good enough every time. Only then move on to doing perfect cabinet makers examples if you really want to, but 99% of furniture is done fast and freehand.
There's lots of others with variations e.g. Franz Klaus does pins first but he's not typical and has some unfamiliar saws.
Rob Cosman does his version of fast but not freehand and is incredibly fussy with lots of bits of kit.
Basically the gist is that they can be done fast and freehand. If you have a chest of drawers to do you may have well over a 100 to do so have to do it fast.
PS you can do them with no special kit at all but the one most worth having is an old fashioned wooden cutting gauge. You can get them on ebay for a fiver or less but you have to search a bit and look at the photos as people don't always know what they are - they get called marking/measuring gauges /tools and all sorts. Avoid metal ones they are horrible to use.

Last edited:
Jacob, really!

Using a cutting gauge for dovetails is like using a sharpening jig for chisels. I'm surprised about your dependence on such things, it's most unlike you.

I know I know, don't tell anyone. :unsure:

Just been looking - if you search ebay for woodworkers cutting gauge they come up £10 or more £25 even.
But if you search for woodworkers marking gauge you may find a cutting gauge in there - I just spotted one at £1.99! A bit scruffy but quite serviceable I think.

Last edited:
Just been looking - if you search ebay for woodworkers cutting gauge they come up £10 or more £25 even.
But if you search for woodworkers marking gauge you may find a cutting gauge in there - I just spotted one at £1.99!
Is there a similar trick for router planes like a '71'? FleeceBay prices are shockingly fantastic. (Sorry to divert thread)

Latest posts

Back