Crippling camels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
So what was the final straw that saw the complete removal of the most popular thread on the entire forum?

Lonsdale73":29pc1g0f said:
So what was the final straw that saw the complete removal of the most popular thread on the entire forum?

The last post i I saw was from Sploo, with something about anti-Semitism.

??

[Reaches for tin foil hat]

Good!

Let's hope lessons have been learned.

Let's get Back to talking about woodwork.

Yes and no. Politics on this site, mormally anethma. THAT B word stood to be the biggest upheaval of our daily lives in forty years. What a shame posters could not stick to objective reviews of political pabulum and descended - in many cases - to gutter insults. I'm glad to see it gone.

It is true the thread was marred by tantrums and nastiness at times, but personally I learned a lot from many of the contributors. Anyway, all things must pass. The only pity is that - when it eventually turns out I was right all along - there will no longer be any evidence to prove it!

I dont really unstand why the most popular thread has just been removed, no explaination from mods, nothing?

I know it tended to get divisive etc, but the thread contained some very informative, valuable posts.

I for one learnt a lot, especially from Nabs, Noel, Sploo, TN and others.

Surely the religious posts couldve just been deleted and a warning posted.

nabs":29vjnd2v said:
The only pity is that - when it eventually turns out I was right all along...
Oh no you weren't. You failed to consider... (etc). :)

RobinBHM":fdvzl5g1 said:
I dont really unstand why the most popular thread has just been removed, no explaination from mods, nothing?

I don't speak for the moderators reasoning behind it, but I think there were a few things that made everything come to a head.

Whilst I didn't have too much of a problem with the BBC thread itself as it could come up with some pretty thoughtful and meaningful discussion of politics, there was a good portion of it which was just slagging each other off and petty arguments, which manifested and transferred onto other parts of the forum, whether that was personal grudges or having a bad temper from being involved in the thread. For the most part, I think majority of the posters in that thread left any bad feelings in the thread and didn't draw it out elsewhere on the forum, But there has been a spate of a certain individual going off on one on other threads being very offensive towards other members and dragging on arguments way longer than they should've been basically trying to pick a fight with other forum members, in my opinion. I think everyone knows who this individual is and it seems he has been dealt with for the time being.

I didn't see what any of the final posts in the BBC thread were about so I can't comment whether they could've had any impact on the decision to shut it down. I personally think it's run it's course after 900 pages or so, it was just the same comments back and forth constantly which I understand is what politics is really, I don't think any new ground had been crossed since the first hundred pages.

I read the title and thought this would be about turning a 5 day camel into a 7 day camel.

Sadly not .......

(for those who remember don't get your thumbs caught!)

stuartpaul":31pdkpsq said:
I read the title and thought this would be about turning a 5 day camel into a 7 day camel.

Sadly not .......

(for those who remember don't get your thumbs caught!)

I thought the big plan was 4 days :D

, I don't think any new ground had been crossed since the first hundred pages.
I found Noels recent posts about how trade will be affected in Ireland very informative.

bourbon":292veeue said:
what did I miss! If a thread turns nasty. I just click off it. Life is too short

With you all the way on that one, really can't understand the mentality of those who complain they don't like a particular thread but keep visiting it to repeat how much they dislike it. Weird.

Lonsdale73":118b0wys said:
bourbon":118b0wys said:
what did I miss! If a thread turns nasty. I just click off it. Life is too short

With you all the way on that one, really can't understand the mentality of those who complain they don't like a particular thread but keep visiting it to repeat how much they dislike it. Weird.

My thinking regarding "The Rant":

[youtube]2uaJ1D2tXOA[/youtube]

You don't want to watch, you certainly don't want to be involved, but somehow you just can't help yourself...the video above has 20 million views - seems to be human nature.

I'm very happy with the decision to remove it! =D> the thread got extremely nasty and personal at times! :roll:

I think that on balance that the thread should not have been closed down. I was away from home for a week and when I got back it had gone, so I just assumed that those who revel in insults had simply gone nuclear. Apparently not.

An explanatory line from the mods would have been desirable IMO. In the Internet "moderator" is effectively a euphemism for "censor". There's nothing wrong with that of course provided those doing the censoring reflect the general consensus of what constitutes unacceptable behaviour or they have very strict rules which are rigourously imposed on all without fear or favour. To be a successful censor requires IMO great intelligence and total moral and ethical integrity: all sadly rare qualities in our inadequately educated society. If that assessment is fair, then it is perhaps better to stick to woodwork.

Finally, I find it unbelievable that anybody could take the arguments of the thread so seriously so as to allow them to poison debate in other threads! It was only a row about politics for God's sake! In any event, I won't be holding any grudges against anybody else. That's not because I'm some sort of saint but rather somebody who thinks it's a good idea to act like a grown up and to generally be of goodwill to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back