Crippling camels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Jacob will be on the election trail now anyway, annoying punters on their own doorstep rather than through the internet........... :lol:

Surely rather than a ban (which I suspect Jacob and some others will treat as a badge of honour) the thread (personal attack one) should have been locked and left up so people could see the thread and decide for themselves on whether it's acceptable or not.

Andy Kev.":2t533lig said:
sploo":2t533lig said:
It's rather ironic that I disagreed greatly with most of Andy's points on said thread, but wholeheartedly agree with his thoughts above :wink:
That's good to read.

I have a couple of rules for internet arguments:

a. The bloke/woman you're arguing wtih is probably a perfectly normal human being of humanity and good will. This particularly applies to this forum - witness the generosity of time and effort given to those who want solutions to woodworking problems. (Those of dubious mental health are probably hoovered up by political forums.)

b. If you are arguing with somebody in the internet, try to imagine that you are arguing face to face in the pub. If you wouldn't say something abominably rude in the pub because it would result in you getting a fist in the face or drink over your head, then why say it here? And FWIW I would imagine that most of us on here would be good company down the pub, lunatic, irrational political views or not. :mrgreen:

Yup...that resonates with my view of blokes. They fall into two categories. I ask myself the question "Would I like to spend an evening down the pub with this bloke ?"

Lons":39bziqg9 said:
sploo":39bziqg9 said:
Lons":39bziqg9 said:
I think so but can't be certain, it would have been for the outrageous assault on Peter rather than the angry thread.
Does any really believe he's gone quiet of his own free will?
Oh dear. He's not gone and got himself smacked again has he? I saw a bit of (not entirely inappropriate) grumping at the high price of some basic tools for sale, and Peter's nicely put (but, to my eyes, good natured) response about Jacob drumming up business for his site. I assume it went further later and got deleted :?
Yes a lot further, way beyond acceptable even by Jacob standards but it doesn't really make sense to discuss it further, mods took action even if belatedly, so water under the bridge now.
Don't understand Jacob sometimes. I think his heart's in the right place, but tends to come out fighting sometimes when it's not wise.

doctor Bob":39bziqg9 said:
I think Jacob will be on the election trail now anyway, annoying punters on their own doorstep rather than through the internet........... :lol:

Surely rather than a ban (which I suspect Jacob and some others will treat as a badge of honour) the thread (personal attack one) should have been locked and left up so people could see the thread and decide for themselves on whether it's acceptable or not.
Agreed. Obviously some things need to be removed, but I have seen that tactic used on some other forums - with a specific comment from a moderator indicating that the evidence had been left to show the reason for a ban or locked thread. Just making posts vanish with no explanation leaves people confused as to what's happened and whether bans were justified.

Andy Kev.":1igpvc0v said:
Those of dubious mental health are probably hoovered up by political forums.

Many sufferers of "dubious mental health" are the very people who were once full of "humanity and goodwill" that they doled out so generously to others that they had toolittle left for themselves yet rarely, if ever ,do they receive the same consideration from others.

Lonsdale73":ao9zaks7 said:
So what was the final straw that saw the complete removal of the most popular thread on the entire forum?

I think ‘most popular’ might be stretching it a bit? Seven (or was it nine??) people going over the same ground, over and over and over; can’t help but think that if a new user/member called in here and found a thread like that, they’d run a mile...

petermillard":2dhbnutz said:
Lonsdale73":2dhbnutz said:
So what was the final straw that saw the complete removal of the most popular thread on the entire forum?

I think ‘most popular’ might be stretching it a bit? Seven (or was it nine??) people going over the same ground, over and over and over; can’t help but think that if a new user/member called in here and found a thread like that, they’d run a mile...
Most voluminous?

Don't know if I'm banned nobody said. It might have accidentally deleted myself - I was half way through and early Christmas present ("Tullabardine Sovereign" on the label) when the rant thread disappeared. Very annoying - set about leaving altogether but without quite managing it, instead locked myself out with the key inside! Hence this temporary emergency registration.
If am not banned I would be grateful if a mod would kindly restore my settings. Sorry for the bother. I'll then delete this one (if I can!)
If I am banned well TTFN but I won't be back!
Re Peter Sefton - refer to rule 8

petermillard":3p6ie55c said:
Lonsdale73":3p6ie55c said:

It contained more than four times as many posts as the next most popular thread and an even hogher order of magnitude of views - I'd say that makes it the most popular although not necessarily the most liked. Like your videas, by the way.

MalcolmT":2iv5n8qu said:
Very annoying - set about leaving altogether but without quite managing it, hence this temporary emergency registration.
If am not banned I would be grateful if a mod would kindly restore my settings. Sorry for the bother. I'll then delete this one (if I can!)

“Temporary registration” from 2017? Is this a separate account you use to spy on the forum during the times you’re banned? :lol: Especially with the unassuming moniker and location.

If I recall from the thread, Peter didn’t advertise himself once other than trying to be helpful with a product he sold in his shop and had experience with. Did you take notice of Rule #2 when you were looking for the rule that was relevant to Peter?

Lonsdale73":32jcfg3u said:
It contained more than four times as many posts as the next most popular thread and an even hogher order of magnitude of views - I'd say that makes it the most popular although not necessarily the most liked. Like your videas, by the way.
Quantity over quality :wink: (and I say that as an active participant of said thread)

Trevanion":32jcfg3u said:
“Temporary registration” from 2017? Is this a separate account you use to spy on the forum during the times you’re banned? :lol: Especially with the unassuming moniker and location.
I did notice that but decided not to stir the pot.

Trevanion":3lqllqoh said:
MalcolmT":3lqllqoh said:
Very annoying - set about leaving altogether but without quite managing it, hence this temporary emergency registration.

I don't think I ever used it at all. I was doing a demo for somebody - how to sign on. Had to retrieve it from gmail

MalcolmT":uz05eo5q said:
Trevanion":uz05eo5q said:
MalcolmT":uz05eo5q said:

I don't think I ever used it at all. I was doing a demo for somebody - how to sign on. Had to retrieve it from gmail
Sailing close to the wind there Jacob (and I say that as someone who wouldn't want to see you banned). Having any sort of multiple logins on a forum is generally considered a big no-no.

So if you weren’t banned, you’re essentially saying you threw all your toys out of the pram over the closing of the BBC thread and decided to delete your account?

Gold.

Trevanion":3bhl3kvp said:
So if you weren’t banned, you’re essentially saying you threw all your toys out of the pram over the closing of the BBC thread and decided to delete your account?

Gold.
Yes that's it. A fit of pique, under the influence of Tullarbardine Sovereign. Instead I just locked myself out. :roll:
Unless of course I have coincidentally been banned .

Rule 3:
Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed.

Multiple accounts (sock puppets) were "instaban" offences on the forums I've moderated.

It's OK I'm back in the land of the living!
Thanks for that.

Jacob":3rcohxq0 said:
I suspect not all members may agree with the juxtaposition of the first and last parts of that sentence :wink:

Welcome back. Suggest you might ask a mod to delete the MalcomT account in order to avoid trouble.

sploo":3q4ogqs0 said:
Jacob":3q4ogqs0 said:
I suspect not all members may agree with the juxtaposition of the first and last parts of that sentence :wink:

Welcome back. Suggest you might ask a mod to delete the MalcomT account in order to avoid trouble.
Will do. MalcolmT was a real person BTW I was trying to get him into gmail and this forum but he gave up. Having locked myself out I couldn't even let anybody know - what a nightmare! :lol:

Jacob":3vhldi0j said:
sploo":3vhldi0j said:
Jacob":3vhldi0j said:

Will do. MalcolmT was a real person BTW I was trying to get him into gmail and this forum but he gave up. Having locked myself out I couldn't even let anybody know - what a nightmare! :lol:
Ah. OK. That's probably not such a serious "offence" then.

If I were a mod though I'd now ban you for a couple of days just for a laugh. Which is why no one would want me to be a mod :mrgreen:

I got 99 problems and being jacob, being banned, and being age 99 going on for 100 and awaiting the queens letter aint one :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back