Crippling camels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the thread like heroin ............ very moreish, so I'm grateful it's stopped. No withdrawal symtoms. Strange thing was I didn't notice it had stopped until this thread was a day or two old.

I think so but can't be certain, it would have been for the outrageous assault on Peter rather than the angry thread.
Does any really believe he's gone quiet of his own free will?

1rq76L7.png

"User is Inactive: Profile details changed", Whatever that means, I guess it means banned for now.

I see he's reached 99 years of age too, I didn't realise getting banned added on 25 years of age :lol:

Andy Kev.":3unoadcu said:
I think that on balance that the thread should not have been closed down. I was away from home for a week and when I got back it had gone, so I just assumed that those who revel in insults had simply gone nuclear. Apparently not.

An explanatory line from the mods would have been desirable IMO. In the Internet "moderator" is effectively a euphemism for "censor". There's nothing wrong with that of course provided those doing the censoring reflect the general consensus of what constitutes unacceptable behaviour or they have very strict rules which are rigourously imposed on all without fear or favour. To be a successful censor requires IMO great intelligence and total moral and ethical integrity: all sadly rare qualities in our inadequately educated society. If that assessment is fair, then it is perhaps better to stick to woodwork.

Finally, I find it unbelievable that anybody could take the arguments of the thread so seriously so as to allow them to poison debate in other threads! It was only a row about politics for God's sake! In any event, I won't be holding any grudges against anybody else. That's not because I'm some sort of saint but rather somebody who thinks it's a good idea to act like a grown up and to generally be of goodwill to others.
It's rather ironic that I disagreed greatly with most of Andy's points on said thread, but wholeheartedly agree with his thoughts above :wink:

I did ask Noel (I too assumed something must have kicked off). His reasons were expressed in a PM so I won't detail here, but I thought they were reasonable (even though I'd have preferred the thread closed rather than vanished - out of the two options).

As I noted to Noel - we mostly live in our own little bubbles, surrounded by like-minded people. For that reason I found the thread to be quite interesting, and certainly learned a heck of a lot about trade rules and world issues!

Lons":3unoadcu said:
I think so but can't be certain, it would have been for the outrageous assault on Peter rather than the angry thread.
Oh dear. He's not gone and got himself smacked again has he? I saw a bit of (not entirely inappropriate) grumping at the high price of some basic tools for sale, and Peter's nicely put (but, to my eyes, good natured) response about Jacob drumming up business for his site. I assume it went further later and got deleted :?

sploo":1b4q9nf9 said:
Lons":1b4q9nf9 said:
Oh dear. He's not gone and got himself smacked again has he? I saw a bit of (not entirely inappropriate) grumping at the high price of some basic tools for sale, and Peter's nicely put (but, to my eyes, good natured) response about Jacob drumming up business for his site. I assume it went further later and got deleted :?
Yes a lot further, way beyond acceptable even by Jacob standards but it doesn't really make sense to discuss it further, mods took action even if belatedly, so water under the bridge now.

sploo":1mlfba6h said:
It's rather ironic that I disagreed greatly with most of Andy's points on said thread, but wholeheartedly agree with his thoughts above :wink:
That's good to read.

I have a couple of rules for internet arguments:

a. The bloke/woman you're arguing wtih is probably a perfectly normal human being of humanity and good will. This particularly applies to this forum - witness the generosity of time and effort given to those who want solutions to woodworking problems. (Those of dubious mental health are probably hoovered up by political forums.)

b. If you are arguing with somebody in the internet, try to imagine that you are arguing face to face in the pub. If you wouldn't say something abominably rude in the pub because it would result in you getting a fist in the face or drink over your head, then why say it here? And FWIW I would imagine that most of us on here would be good company down the pub, lunatic, irrational political views or not. :mrgreen:

Many moons ago a friend was seriously into CB radio. One night he came into the pub a bit later than usually and I asked if he'd been outside on the radio. No, he said - I got rid of it. Why? I asked.
Because last night I spent three quarters of an hour speaking to someone on the radio, and when I signed off I suddenly realised that had I seen the guy in a bar I wouldn't have wasted my time talking to him.

I suspect the internet in many cases is the same. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back