criminal responsiblity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi gang,
I know I've just posted a lighthearted thread on 'senior moments' (Is it me?). this one is more serious, bearing in mind what happened to Dave with his workshop break in & what the disgusting PIGS did. My quetion is.....What laws would you make/change to bring these criminals into line? I personally would make then responsible for their own actions, i.e, They enter your property without permission, they live with whatever befalls them whilst they are there......ESPECIALLY if they are there to 'borrow' your property....so to speak.

Plus, people who re-offend time & again, i.e. 'career criminals' would NOT get legal aid after, say, 3 times, tough, you're on your own sunshine so get your lawyer head on....or PAY for one. may not be so keen to go to court then eh?? Or jail, I'd not make them so comfy.. don't want to be uncomfortable in life do we?

I know we are not meant to get too political & I am sorry if I overstep the mark here. My idea is that people who can make a difference may use this & other sites to measure public opinion as they may be more likely to give true feelings away in a forum like this than in some high street survey. SOOOOOOO! feel like changing the world? LET'S GO PEOPLE!!!!

Yours hopefully, Sliver.

Silver wrote:
people who re-offend time & again
Something here to be said for the system in the US of A where in some states, if you offend more than three times for any crime (I think) they bang you up and throw away the key, can't somehow see that happening in the UK tho' ....shame - Rob

I seem to recall the Americans having ditched that "three strikes" ssytem on the basis that it doesnt actually work as prevention or punishment.
Mike

It's a per State law Mike and so far, although amendments have been introduced in some, to allow treatment rather than the slammer for relatively minor offences, it's still going strong!

Mind you, the Bureau of Prisons is a massive organization, building prisons at the drop of a hat!

Aye I knew it was some states only but I thought they had all dumped it or ammended it as you say. They do seem to have a "harsher" sentencing policy on the whole than many other places (being one of the few countries that executes minors for example) but it doesnt seem to do them much good on the surface of things.
Mike

They haven't done that for a very long time. Although in theory the remaining few States 'can' impose the death penalty; in practice it isn't done and the Supreme Court is revisiting the whole issue.

Life should mean life.
10 years should mean 10 years with nothing off for good behavior.
Make the prisons prison and not holiday camps.
Prisoners should forfeit all human rights

I could go on and on

Prisoners here get the luxury treatment, DVD players TV and even the internet access in there cells. One prisoner to each cell. Thats not punishement in some cases they are better off than you and me

Waka":2qovrky2 said:
...snip..
Prisoners should forfeit all human rights,

I concur, humane yes, just; most have not given their victims human rights any consideration.

You should have the protection of the law and all benefits needed to get you on your feet. Break the law, or abuse those benefits then that's it, your on your own or out.

"If you cannot live by common decency rules then I do not see why I should keep turning the other cheek to accommodate you."

I heard on the wireless (R2 I think, maybe on J Vine) that it costs more per anum to keep a prisoner at HM pleasure than it does to send someone to Eton :shock: . Has anyone else heard of this and if it is true then it seems to me that the system is seriously skewed - Rob

woodbloke":bud6o89q said:
I heard on the wireless (R2 I think, maybe on J Vine) that it costs more per anum to keep a prisoner at HM pleasure than it does to send someone to Eton :shock:

I think the current figure is about £40,000 per year :shock: :shock:

Paul

Oh yes,keeping someone in the lap of luxury at Her Majesty's Pleasure is expensive :shock:
Believe it is even more expensive for someome like Ian Huntley,kept in solitary for his own safety.

The whole British justice system could do with a bit of a revamp,I think (hopefully,including a referendum on major issues)

Andrew

PowerTool":53oc9osr said:
...snip...,kept in solitary for his own safety.
Andrew

Why? if the residents have their own code of decency then those choosing to opt into the lifestyle should live with it. albeit for a short period.

I think there are to many in our society more deserving of the time and expenditure.

I believe there is no segregation in many USA states, the obvious results normally ensue.

One idea that i've had since I was a young boy and something I've never understoon why it hasn't been brought in yet, and that is;

Make the criminals pay for their own sentence. This is simply done by either seizing their assets or any profit they have made from their crimes, AND when they come out levy an extra 10% on their income tax until they have paid back their 'debt' to society - they would be monitored to make sure they contribute, and they'll also waver their rights to claim from the benfit system.

If they refuse to work and contribute, they'll be given mandatory work in factories or other jobs that need filling. This is also my view on the scum they draw from the dole as soon as they leave school and have no intentions of working but thats going a different route.

We should also export some of our prisoners to foreigh run prisons. For instance, we could pay the russians to run a prison for us in the middle of Siberia, it probably would be cheaper and there would be not much chance of escape!

This is one of those topics that tends to make me very unpopular in this politically correct society in which we live, my standpoint on law and order is somewhat draconian.
I believe criminals surrender their human rights the moment they decide to commit a crime, you can't deliberately act against society and still expect that society to protect you.
Corporal punishment is ok by me, I wonder how many little scrotes would throw bricks off motorway bridges or push over old ladies and swipe their handbags if they knew there was 20 lashes in public waiting for them. Try getting a job working with children with 'Rapist' branded across your forehead.
I wonder how many burglars would take a handgun or a knife with them if the death penalty was still in place for murder? It makes no difference to criminals these days if they kill an innocent in the pursuit of their criminal activities, what does it add to their sentance if they get caught? 5 years? Which amounts to about 18 months extra time served - that's no deterrant.
And foreign prisoners - why?? If they commit a violent crime then punish them accordingly and send them home. "But I come from a violent country where I face persecution if I ever return" - tough, you should have thought of that before you commited a crime.

I like Byron's idea of perhaps renting a Siberian gulag for somewhere to put society's real dregs. 'No locks here, it's 500 miles on foot to the nearest road and it's -40 degrees outside, go for it.'

I'm sure there will be people vowing never to reply to any of my threads ever again or preparing all manner of inventive liberal insults to throw at me now, but crime is wrong and there should be no hesitation from the powers that be in stamping it out, as hard as possible.

Vormulac.

...aaaand relax...

Oooooooooooooh, I opened up a hornets nest here didn't I? Vormulac, you're o.k. in my book mate. I say that because I don't remember violent crime being as prolific when I was a boy. I am about the same age as some of Brady & Hindley's victims WOULD have been if they had been allowed to live a natural life. The disgust that the case generated during my young life I, think, set my stance on ths issue of crime & punishment. Now it seems that you can't see a news report or pick up a newspaper without some one has killed someone else for the price of a bag of toffees, sometimes litterally that much. All the P.C. plonkers who bang on about not smacking kids, (I do not advocate BEATING, I mean smacking) make me see red. They should come to my area & see how the kids use the 'You can't touch me or I'll get you done' line with a smirk on their faces & then proceed to do exactly as they want ,good or bad, whether we like it or not. Respect needs to be taught, my sister-in-law is a teacher & her once beloved proffession is now just one long nightmare of badly behaved kids.

Thank you all so much for your replies & for taking the time to write them. It makes me feel less alone in my thinking knowing that you all think like me on this matter.
ATB, Sliver.

That's a relief, I was packing my bags ready to be sent to Coventry for a moment there. :D

You're quite right, Sliver, it doesn't matter what the PC crowd say, the world is not as safe, nor as friendly a place as it used to be, respect and responsibilty has been removed from all young people and we are all poorer because of it.

Vormulac.

Hi all,

This is a subject that me and some of my friends have been talking about all at the moment, and to see what some of the young kids get up to now :shock: .

When I was growing up ( not as long ago as some :wink: ), in my area you had respect for you people around you or some one would let you know about it very quickly.

Me and a friend have seen a school kid ( still in his school uniform ), walk up to a workmans coat and put his hand in one of the pockets looking for some thing to nick ( this was on a busy main street ).

We look at each other in disbelef and ask his what he was doing but not so nicely :evil: , he looked at us with shock as he was not thinking any one would say anything, as you can guess he shot off very quickly.

I think this is also part of the problem is that people will walk pass when some thing is going wrong, which did not happen as when I was younger.

I also think that some parents have a long way to go to be good parents and I for one smack my kids when I think it is right, which is not much.

I have had to stop myself from giving some of the kids out on the street a clip a round the ear, the problem that I see is that they want to be treaded like adults but if and when they talk or act like men, and you tread them like adults ( say give one or two of them a slap ).

This is when they remember how old they are and remember the law :evil:

I say stick them in the army for three years and if they start acting like they do, the guys or girls that are in with them will sort it :wink:

Latest posts

Back