Cricket World Cup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never known a game like it.

I think it will go down as one of the all time greats.

phil.p":1flakkm1 said:
Yes. Great shame someone lost. :(

You're right, I'm not a fan of sharing the winning trophy but in this case I actually think it would of been the right thing to do.

Unbelievable.

Lost count of times I thought we'd thrown it away then clawed our way back in.

Had to google what a SuperOver was!

Like a penalty shootout for cricket.

Congrats England!! (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) :D :D :D =D> =D> =D>

yep, bet not many knew the rules of a superover.

I got confused on the 4 byes as well plus 2 runs, fantastic. Had everything

byes are unintentional deflections that go for runs. They ran two, the ball accidentally cannoned of the batmen and wasn't stopped until it had reached the boundary.

A less powerful throw and it wouldn't have gone for four and they wouldn't have run any more runs as it is considered unsporting. Apparently Stokes shouted at the umpires to not add the 4 runs to the English score.

Stanleymonkey":7zhw3quo said:
Apparently Stokes shouted at the umpires to not add the 4 runs to the English score.

Did he really?

Wow, amazing sportsmanship.

Stanleymonkey":3noqtsmy said:
byes are unintentional deflections that go for runs.......

No they're not. Not unless things have changed. Overthrows are just runs. Byes are mistakes by the 'keeper (ie a ball that goes through to the keeper without touching bat or batsman, which isn't a wide, and which results in runs).

MikeG.":rlco57ql said:
Stanleymonkey":rlco57ql said:
byes are unintentional deflections that go for runs.......

No they're not. Not unless things have changed. Overthrows are just runs. Byes are mistakes by the 'keeper (ie a ball that goes through to the keeper without touching bat or batsman, which isn't a wide, and which results in runs).

Thanks for the info chaps ............. suppose Mike may know the rules ............... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Was a total farce. For years there has been talk of corruption within football and it seems it's found its way into cricket, guessing TV money a common factor. Level after 50 0vers, level after a superover trophy should have been shared are a win awarded by wickets not boundaries. Never, ever heard of a match being won by 'x' amount of bundaries.

Pakistan must be seething.

Lonsdale73":1p2a93re said:
.........Pakistan must be seething.

Why? They were beaten squarely under tournament rules which were the same for everyone, and which were known years in advance. They weren't in the top 4, so can't have a complaint about how the final turned out.

OscarG":195ads12 said:
I've seen something about the application of rules that's up for debate but not regarding the super-over.

Ben Stokes' 2 that turned into a 6: There's an umpire who thinks a strict application of the rules means it should have been 5 not 6.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-7247983/Should-England-given-five-runs-Ben-Stokes-LUCKY-six.html

What do you think?

He's talking twaddle. It was 2 runs (run) plus a boundary. That's six. For anyone who thinks this event is uncommon, I would say that it probably happened half a dozen or a dozen times a season throughout my career. It happened to me personally once or twice. One of the unwritten rules of cricket is that if the ball hits you and goes for what would be overthrows, you don't run, and that happened all the time.

Latest posts

Back