Cressing Temple

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I thought I might take a bimble down as its not too far from me.

Probably go on Saturday

Blister":3gdpai76 said:
woodbloke":3gdpai76 said:
Too far for me for a day out :( - Rob

Its on for 2 days

Why not make a weekend of it :lol:
Who's going to tell SWIMBO that her greenhouse isn't going up this weekend? 8-[ If you fancy telling her, you're a better bloke than me :lol: - Rob

paulm":5e34l51v said:
Thinking about it, not sure yet......

Hmmm, checked out the details again, just over two hours each way (assuming no hold ups) on the M3/M25 etc, about £60 of diesel, £9 for entrance etc.

Looks a great show but think I'll give it a miss again after all, not really practicable from here unless there was something I was desperately keen to see, look forward to seeing pics from others though :)

Cheers, Paul

I'm thinking about popping up on Saturday. It will be my first ever woodworking show \:D/

paulm":1o0oo4u9 said:
paulm":1o0oo4u9 said:
Thinking about it, not sure yet......

Hmmm, checked out the details again, just over two hours each way (assuming no hold ups) on the M3/M25 etc, about £60 of diesel, £9 for entrance etc.

Looks a great show but think I'll give it a miss again after all, not really practicable from here unless there was something I was desperately keen to see, look forward to seeing pics from others though :)

Cheers, Paul
Same here Paul, it's a long way round for what's going to be all the usual stuff, spiny side, CHT etc etc...and as far as I know, they don't even sell any wood :( (unlike Yandles...which is free and closer)

Best reason for going is the nice people from Lincolnshire Woodcraft. Current job is based on some lovely quarter sawn oak bought from them at Cressing last year. Hope I get to them before anyone else!
Simon

woodbloke":42j9w95v said:
it's a long way round for what's going to be all the usual stuff, spiny side, CHT etc etc...

That's a bit negative, Rob. In my experience, Mike always gets a lot of good demonstrators along to his shows and people can learn a lot from them. I certainly have at previous events like West Dean and Westonbirt. I have no doubt that there will be some good tips to pick up from the people who will be appearing at Cressing Temple. It's not just about buying stuff.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":wrsak9bx said:
woodbloke":wrsak9bx said:
it's a long way round for what's going to be all the usual stuff, spiny side, CHT etc etc...

That's a bit negative, Rob. In my experience, Mike always gets a lot of good demonstrators along to his shows and people can learn a lot from them. I certainly have at previous events like West Dean and Westonbirt. I have no doubt that there will be some good tips to pick up from the people who will be appearing at Cressing Temple. It's not just about buying stuff.

Paul
OK Paul, fair enoughski. I've never been to CT so it's unfair I 'spose to comment, but based on the Yandles show and West Dean, they're all fairly predictable (or at least seem to be) and anyone going can almost guarantee what or who is going to be there. It'll no doubt be a very good day out and I would have probably gone if I were much closer but the trawl up the A303, M3 and then the M25 doesn't inspire great enthusiasm - Rob

woodbloke":1gqtogu6 said:
Paul Chapman":1gqtogu6 said:
woodbloke":1gqtogu6 said:

Paul
OK Paul, fair enoughski. I've never been to CT so it's unfair I 'spose to comment, but based on the Yandles show and West Dean, they're all fairly predictable (or at least seem to be) and anyone going can almost guarantee what or who is going to be there. It'll no doubt be a very good day out and I would have probably gone if I were much closer but the trawl up the A303, M3 and then the M25 doesn't inspire great enthusiasm - Rob

Just to expand on this a bit more, at other shows I've learnt some very useful tips from people like John Lloyd, Garrett Hack, Deneb Puchalski, Mark Hancock, Steve Woodley and others that I now incorporate in the way I do my woodwork. What is good about this sort of show (in addition to meeting up with friends and buying stuff that you might happen to want) is being able to discuss techniques with people who really know their stuff and who you wouldn't normally get the opportunity to meet.

I agree that it's too far to travel for a lot of people but for those who can make it I reckon it would be very worthwhile.

Paul

Paul Chapman":2esocz66 said:
Just to expand on this a bit more, at other shows I've learnt some very useful tips from people like John Lloyd, Garrett Hack, Deneb Puchalski, Mark Hancock, Steve Woodley and others that I now incorporate in the way I do my woodwork. What is good about this sort of show (in addition to meeting up with friends and buying stuff that you might happen to want) is being able to discuss techniques with people who really know their stuff and who you wouldn't normally get the opportunity to meet.

I agree that it's too far to travel for a lot of people but for those who can make it I reckon it would be very worthwhile.

Paul
Tbh, Paul, the amount of 'tips' I've picked up from shows I personally can count on the fingers of one hand...Deneb P planing the WfH at West Dean (but that was only a LA planing exercise) and Garret Hack's little scratch stock, again at West Dean. If you recollect, the result of that was Pete's much superior brass stock (of which we both have one...lucky us \:D/ ) I remember also we had a chat with RC at one of the shows, but I didn't bother with his demo. The 'tips' thing for me doesn't hold water, but I agree it's always great to meet up with friends that you haven't seen for a while.
Show discounts though, are much more appealing 'specially when I can spend a pleasant hour or two in the woodshed at Yandles - Rob

Hoping to get down to Cressing on Sunday, missed last years, but if the first years show was anything to go by, it`ll be well worth the road trip.

Cheers.

Just returned home from Cressing Temple. What a great show and fabulous weather :D

Had a nice chat with Richard Maguire and a good look at his benches. His new wagon vice is stunning. I still prefer the Veritas tail vice for what I do but if I was in the market for a wagon vice, I would choose Richard's without a doubt.

Sarah (Mrs Oryx) and Tom were doing good business on the Festool stand. The new Domino is a cracker 8)

Garrett Hack was doing some exquisite inlay work with Mother of Pearl and Ebony. Must try to get on one of his courses - he's a real master of technique and such a nice bloke.

In Mike Hudson's absence, David Thornton (Mike's apprentice :wink: ) was doing sterling work on the Clifton stand and, I believe, made several sales.

Philly had several of his tools as well as the Lie Nielsen range.

Bought some Narex chisels from Alex at a good price (this chisel thing must be Alf's influence :) ).

I was very impressed with the leather work by Kate Langley. If I'd had more cash with me I would have bought one of her double leather belts - beautifully made.

Lots and lots of other stuff to see and some good refreshments and ice cream. If you are free tomorrow, go along it's really good.

Paul

Back