Creating inside curve

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xy mosian":d7aom13j said:
Possible daft question here. Could it be curfed to bend from the flat. Maybe steaming, or soaking, the 'face' to help the bend?
xy

Kerfed I believe is the term. ;) Yes that would be a possible way to do it but he doesn't want to use his table saw. Presumably because you have to remove the guard for the buried cuts.

Pete

You are, of course, correct with the spelling Pete. Sorry I'm normally quite good at spotting my spelling errors.
I had overlooked the reluctance of using the table saw. Quite right in my opinion.
Coving using a table saw is something I have done, don't want to repeat that expeience. Besides at that sort of radius a vary large blade would be needed.
xy

Don't sweat the spelling. I knew what you meant. ;)

Blade size wouldn't matter because you take a pass on one side and then flip the board around for the other side. Move your fence closer to the blade and clamp it down to take more passes raising the blade a little more each time. You still have to clean up a little and coving is nothing that ever spooked me as long as you understand what is happening and take the necessary precautions. The worst thing about it is the amount of dust it generates.

In the end it is the OP that is doing the work and has to be comfortable with whatever method he choses to accomplish the task.

Pete

If you were confident with a router this kind of arrangement would allow repeatable results fairly quickly
59c0194c2335321dda020b64412f30e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You may have found a job I could use my pattern maker's plane for. I bought it a few years ago because of my steelworker family heritage, but there's not a lot to use one for in contemporary woodworking. Lovely thing though.

Yes indeed, the ideal tool. Presumably it has a set of radiused irons and bases in various sizes.
Perfect excuse to buy one!

Bodgers":2rmsf4wk said:
I'm about to start prototyping a desk.

The top part of the desk is a 200x500x1100mm carcass.......

Any ideas?

It sounds like you're planning on building from the solid. You haven't given the full details of your plan but that would likely be a mistake.

I've either made, or seen being made, any number of compound curve desks such as these,

https://www.barnsley-furniture.co.uk/pr ... more-desk/

https://www.barnsley-furniture.co.uk/pr ... ks/desk-3/

https://www.barnsley-furniture.co.uk/pr ... esks/desk/

Without exception they're all veneered, for the very good reason that if made from the solid then the drawers would soon jam and the carcass to leg joints would soon fail.

There are some simpler designs that could be made from the solid, and in this case the most cost effective solution is a coopered construction. Here's an example,

https://www.barnsley-furniture.co.uk/pr ... sidetable/

Good luck!

custard":1jvvgyvd said:
As an aside and off topic somewhat, the current crop of Barnsley offerings such as the ones above do absolutely nothing for me and I've also seen stuff like this being made on their open days.

Back to the main topic; creating a curved form - Rob

That last one has a strange creepy air of War of the Worlds about it to me - like it might scuttle across the floor on it's own !

Or have I been inside on my own for too long ...

Some time ago I came across a very forlorn and filthy bit of oak propped up against a pillar in the woodshed at Yandles. No one was paying particular attention to it but I could see the possibilities for a cabinet with a curved door. The width of the cabinet is 280mm.

IMG_4429.jpg

Using my AP curved sole jackplane, it was relatively easy to shape the concave inside face;

IMG_4430.jpg

...which was then finished off with a curved card scraper.

Making a convex soled jack is relatively straight forward;

IMG_4431.jpg

IMG_4433.jpg

What is a lot more tricky is to grind the blade to the exact curvature of plane's sole and if memory serves, I constructed a fiendish jig for the Tormek to grind the iron to the correct shape. I also had to insert a new mouth which was shaped to the curvature of the iron as the edge of the inset is actually a compound curve - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_4429.jpg
    IMG_4429.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4430.jpg
    IMG_4430.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4431.jpg
    IMG_4431.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4433.jpg
    IMG_4433.jpg