Creating a fake grain effect on wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

A friend of mine is after some info. She makes handmade cards and on these she has small wooden buttons made from birchwood. They look very unfinshed as the wood is so light, so i have advised her on the usual coloured varnishes and waxes she could use. She was wondering though if she could creat a grain effect on the buttons as from the pic, they don't seem to have much of a grain. I know this is possible in paint, but was'nt sure otherwise. I'm hoping the pics of the buttons just are'nt showing the grain so well and that the coloured finish added may bring the grain out for her.

Just so you know what i'm on about, these are the buttons i'm on about. Any additional info on colouring or whatever would be most helpfull.

http://store.yahoo.com/h-madewithlove/hearshapnbut.html

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Calv.

Hi Calv,

If the buttons are made from birch plywood, they may well not show a distinct grain. It depends on the way the wood veneer is sliced from the logs to make the plywood. Often the veneer is continously 'peeled' off a rotating log (called rotary cut veneer) and typically this type of veneer does not show the traditional grain that you get by crowncutting (slicing across) a log.

Staining though will enhance what if any grain that is there in the wood.

Ike

Back