Creating a custom texture library in Sketchup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
A forum member asked me for help to create a custom library of textures in Sketchup, and I thought I may as well post the reply here in case anyone else finds it useful :)

The Library window is open by default, if you can’t see it go to ‘Window - Material Browser’

Sketchup_Textures_1.jpg

Change to the ‘In Model’ library by clicking the tab. Click the ‘Create’ button to add a new material.

Sketchup_Textures_2.jpg

Click the ‘Use texture image’ tickbox, and browse for the image file for the texture you want to add. Also give it a title if you want - enter this into the box top left of the dialog. Click ‘Add’. Make more textures if you wish, then when you are done click ‘Close’

Sketchup_Textures_3.jpg

Your ‘In Model’ library should now display the textures you have added. To save this as a new library, click the little button towards the top right of the Materials Browser (shown by the green arrow). Select ‘Save As Library...’

Sketchup_Textures_4.jpg

After saving, your new collection of textures will appear as an entry in the Library proper. To see it, change to the ‘Library’ tab, and select your library using the drop-down box. I saved my example as 'Woods’

If you want to add more textures later, just get your library open in the Materials Browser and click 'Create', then carry on as before.

That’s it!

If you want some wood textures to add, you could ask Tim nicely and he will mail you a nice collection of texture tiles :) - see his thread here

Cheers,
Neil

ooo very clever! I'd love a copy of those textures

Dont forget you can resize the textures after applying them, so you can get the grain "to scale".
Right click and select texture>position.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Neil":2j90nnin said:
Tim has very kindly given permission for me to post the textures to UploadIt - you can download them here (277KB Zip)

Let me rephrase that:

"Tim is too lazy and with a crappy 56k connection to be able to email it to everyone so Neil has kindly agreed to host the file on his Uploadit site!"

Cheers

T

Philly, please explain what to do with the four coloured thingies in order to get the grain looking realistic on a piece of wood, after right clicking and selecting texture - resize?

Thanks - I'm not very intuitive with computers! which is why my son calls me a dumb-ass.

John

Back